Security Installer Community

Adding 2nd Keypad To Galaxy

I want to add a 2nd keypad to a galaxy, twin AB line Daisy chain config. According to the manual I have to terminate the new AB line with 680 Ohm and remove link LK1 on the panel. Can this be done in engineer mode or is it best to power down the panel completely before hand? Also, if I power down the panel can someone confirm I won't lose the user setting and codes and zone configs I've setup already. Thanks.

Guest RJBsec

Power down from day mode before making the change, you will not lose the programming but you will have to reset the date & time.

personally i thought the procedure was

1) put panel into eng. ode

2) add keypad

3) go to the 'restart' command in paremeters , and follow instructions - i think it goes back to day mode so ensure you have customer code

4) system will ask you to confirm new keypad/rio etc

exit engineering if still in.

the only wat the galacy will lose data is if is faulty or if the memeory link not enabled

Again the above is my understanding re original galaxy - i am not 100% sure if same applies to newer versions

Paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Way I have always done it:

Put panel into engineer mode

Cable and address new device

Connect A and B to data

Connect power

Exit engineer mode (you should get "1 MODS ADDED" message, press A or ENT to view the type and address of the module)

Check keypad is functional

Go back into engineer mode and check the keypad comms in the diagnostic menu is showing 100%

Trade Member

But if starring from the panel, you need to terminate the line, and remove the termination at the panel. I wouldnt advise cutting anything on a powered up panel.

You can only run 2 lines from a galaxy (per data line) as you need to terminate both ends with a 680 Ohm. Most of the time the panel is at the end of the line so needs its resistor. Alternativly cable it of the existing line and move the eol resistor.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Guest RJBsec
Way I have always done it:

Put panel into engineer mode

Cable and address new device

Connect A and B to data

Connect power

Exit engineer mode (you should get "1 MODS ADDED" message, press A or ENT to view the type and address of the module)

Check keypad is functional

Go back into engineer mode and check the keypad comms in the diagnostic menu is showing 100%

personally i thought the procedure was

1) put panel into eng. ode

2) add keypad

3) go to the 'restart' command in paremeters , and follow instructions - i think it goes back to day mode so ensure you have customer code

4) system will ask you to confirm new keypad/rio etc

exit engineering if still in.

the only wat the galacy will lose data is if is faulty or if the memeory link not enabled

Again the above is my understanding re original galaxy - i am not 100% sure if same applies to newer versions

Paul

I would agree with the above on simply adding another keypad (or component on the data line) but personally I would not do that where I was splitting the data line as o/p intends doing - I would power down to avoid possible problems, mind you I don't trust panels any longer.

I would agree with the above on simply adding another keypad (or component on the data line) but personally I would not do that where I was splitting the data line as o/p intends doing - I would power down to avoid possible problems, mind you I don't trust panels any longer.

Will power down as suggested. Thanks for advise.

Archived