Security Installer Community

Dectector Advice

dommer

Guest RJBsec
Personally i dont like glass break detectors, too many past experinces of false alarms, and missed genuines

Ditto, I remember one furniture store where they kept triggering with beer cans being thrown against the glass but failed to trip when someone threw a breeze-block through it!

:'(

I have used Texecom Quad PIR's elsewhere. Would one of these be better than the break glass detector ? There is a computer in this room, and other than closing the curtains all day, someone can see in and see it. I am worried they would just smash and grab.

And how would a glass break detector help here?

Ensure your pc isnt reachable form the window, and either use a detector so that the perp has to enter, or use a vibro on the window and a pir, or a glassbreak and a pir. But think about what your trying to achieve with the glassbreak, if they dont mind breaking glass and the noise it makes, they aint gonna care about you bell going off either (ik have assumed audible ony not a monitored alarm)

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thanks for the advice. Unless it's Mr Tickle, nobody will be able to reach my computer without entering. My original problem and reason for glass break detector is two cats that use the room. The jump on the window sill and will make a PIR goes off constantly.

Personally i dont like glass break detectors, too many past experinces of false alarms, and missed genuines (glass types and acoustics are critical plus you have 1 chance to detect it, no second chances). We now dont fit them at all.

I understand your cable issue why not have a look at radio vibration detectors, same size (ish) now and ideal for this application

Hi Redbull what is a radio vibro ? Can it be fitted to any panel ?

Thanks for the advice. Unless it's Mr Tickle, nobody will be able to reach my computer without entering. My original problem and reason for glass break detector is two cats that use the room. The jump on the window sill and will make a PIR goes off constantly.

my standard advice for cats especially, is to close the door and keep them out, or attach a blob of blue tac to each paw and stick them on the ceiling.

pet resistant pirs are good but reduce the security compared to standard pirs, but something is better than nothing. i have quad pet pirs in my home wit a 10 stone dotty rotty with no false alarm problems.

one 'old school' way before pet pirs were available, was to blank off all the lower 'fingers' and those covering the window leaving a 'V' shaped detection area using the supplied masking film, intruders being taller than cats will 'hit' both area's if they walk around.

but blue tac really works great too (but don't forget to leave a 'waste' bin underneath them though or wifey may get a bit testy :ninja:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived