Security Installer Community

Battery Checks

Guest nikki

Guest nikki

Hello

Could anyone explain to me how to check my alarm battery current.I am trying to practice for collage on Monday using the panel in my house but im not to sure.

I dont want to look a fool on monday when the instructor asks how to do it and i can't show him

Please help

select dc amps on your meter, connect the meter in series with the battery(disconnect 1 battery lead, 1 meter clip on the battery terminal,1 on the battery lead),then pull the ac fuse. The meter will show the battery standby current.

Remember to replace the ac fuse BEFORE removing your meter.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Hi Nikki,

Breff is quite correct, his method will give you the system standby curent.

To find out the battery charging current, do not pull the fuse.....

Hope this helps

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Hi Nikki,

Take a look at the ACT Meters web site under Alarn Testing, this will give you a reasonable insite into the basic tests required, as his training staff also teach in colleges and the tests shown will be on par with your college course.

WARNING!!! I would ask you to leave all MAINS tests shown on the web site above, until you have had proper instruction in working with mains and the safety precautions entailed, unless of course you are already a sparky ?.

Good hunting,

Clive.

Hi Nikki,

You can find the ACT Meters Test pages Here

As Clive says, the panel does have mains voltages inside so do make sure you have been correctly instructed on how to safely work with it.

MAINS VOLTAGES CAN KILL !!

out of interest, what Collage course are you doing?

as i'm supprised they have not gone over basic meter use with you.

anything else you need to know, just ask. this site is a wealth of technical knowledge and experiance. so chances are that somebody here will be able help.

we were all trainees once. :D

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Isn't it usual for college to show you how to do something with a practical demonstration then you practice it?

As a point of reference you have to unplug the positive meter lead from the ohms/volts socket and plug it in to the current socket, but more importantly you have to remember to put it back when you have finished.

Archived