Security Installer Community

Fitting Contacts To Upvc Door

Guest anguscanplay

someone has just released a new G2 contact thats designed to fit in the profile of 90% of U-PVC doors

Had to go to a fault a few years ago, customer had spent a grand on his patio doors, looked amazing. One of the so called install "engineers" had fit surface contacts on the doors not realising that the centre strut was actually a part of one of the doors, needless to say when the company I worked for at the time got the bill for some new doors he didnt last long hehe

I have been fitting CQR FC505 to PVC doors for years, we dont now due to grading. Infact we dont bother with doors on domestics as there is still not a good grade 2 contact we can find that is not poted.

Trade Member

Guest anguscanplay
I have been fitting CQR FC505 to PVC doors for years, we dont now due to grading. Infact we dont bother with doors on domestics as there is still not a good grade 2 contact we can find that is not poted.

surface ?

BTW I just fitted a couple of surface contacts to a 68K conservatory - that was scary LOL

Guest anguscanplay
ELM-QFT(GN)

Thats the green resistored variant, ie galaxy (1k, 1k)

argh its got resisters then, though you`d found the holy grail

I have always managed with normal surface contacts, you fit the contact at the top of the frame but inside the profile so it's hidden when the door is shut.

Sometimes there isn't enough room to fit the magnet on the dorr with sufficient clearance so I take it out of the housing and bed it in silicon.

You need to use some creative drilling to hide the cables but it's worth it.

Incidentally I once fitted an alarm in a house that had Everest doors, these were pre-drilled for standard 20mm flush contacts, all you had to do was remove a couple of blanking plugs.

Happy days!

I have always managed with normal surface contacts, you fit the contact at the top of the frame but inside the profile so it's hidden when the door is shut.

Sometimes there isn't enough room to fit the magnet on the dorr with sufficient clearance so I take it out of the housing and bed it in silicon.

You need to use some creative drilling to hide the cables but it's worth it.

Incidentally I once fitted an alarm in a house that had Everest doors, these were pre-drilled for standard 20mm flush contacts, all you had to do was remove a couple of blanking plugs.

Happy days!

Yep I think you do 'em the same way i was contemplating, thanks for the help guys, you can probably consider this topic answered now ta .

Everest doors, these were pre-drilled for standard 20mm flush contacts, all you had to do was remove a couple of blanking plugs.

Not any more I suspect. My new Everest back door certainly didn't have that, and looking at the locking mechanisms I can't see how they would do it. :(

Elmdene make a nice G2 non sealed, flush and surface contact.

CQR make one just like the Grade 1 suface contact but its grade 2 it has a small tamper switch instead of one of the spare terminals.

Seen it at ifsec this year and looked good for domestics.

CQR make one just like the Grade 1 suface contact but its grade 2 it has a small tamper switch instead of one of the spare terminals.

Seen it at ifsec this year and looked good for domestics.

Nothing on there website, do you have a part number?

Trade Member

Is there any real reason you cant fit a surface contact at the bottom ?

I dont really do much Intruder, so I'm not familiar with regs, but my neighbour fitted his own that way and its a lot less noticeable, easier to hide the cable as well.

Guest anguscanplay

hundreds, nay thousands of them i`ve fitted at the bottom of doors it makes no difference in the real world (unless like RB your always hoovering your door LOL)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived