Security Installer Community

Fire Extinguishers

Traing with all providers is 4 days + exam on the Friday morning.

Refresh is required every 3-yers and is 1/2 day training/refresh and exam in the afternoon.

you can train anywhere or as i do train my own staff than just send them on the exam.

all you need is a good training manual and your 1/2 way there but unfortunately they only come withthe courses as far as I know ;)

[Chorlton is spot on with his info, the refresher is required by BS5306-3:2003.

BS5306-3:2003 is due to be changed this year so might be worth waiting until the 2008 standard is published!!! if they ever get round to it, good old BSI./quote]

• 6 months later...

I did the 4 day BAFE course, because I was fed up of extinguisher firms trying to steal my fire service contracts. Any fool can service a can, once they do the course. They are not rocket science, but you do need to spend quite a bit for all the tools, scales, cylinders etc...

Now, on small jobs, I offer to service the cans for free, if I get the fire alarm contract, charging only for replacements and recharges....

I did the 4 day BAFE course, because I was fed up of extinguisher firms trying to steal my fire service contracts. Any fool can service a can, once they do the course. They are not rocket science, but you do need to spend quite a bit for all the tools, scales, cylinders etc...

Now, on small jobs, I offer to service the cans for free, if I get the fire alarm contract, charging only for replacements and recharges....

Fair game I say!

So in round figures how much to kit out a van with all the tools and spares required for your average service....??

Also... is that the SP201 course... ??

So in round figures how much to kit out a van with all the tools and spares required for your average service....??

Also... is that the SP201 course... ??

SP101

stock of 20 extinguishers, fireblankets, ID signs, charges, pins, various seals, regulator, nitrogen cylinder, adapters, head removal bars, hand tools, maint labels, jobsheets etc I'd say

like I'm going to say in public, lol

the profit is not from just the price charged per extinguisher to service them but more the periodic testing, refilling and replacment along with installation, training too.

lol, sorry didn't realise this was public post. Was only asking out of interest, wondered how companies justified having fire alarm engineers doing extinguisher servicing unless they're paying them peanuts but I s'pose with the extras it may be worth it....just!!

are you from central Scotland? lol

No, Central England! Don't worry I don't think it would be worth my travel time up north to nick your extinguisher servicing unless you charge

Archived