Security Installer Community

Pir Choice

Hello,

I'm just in the process of selecting some suitable PIR's for our install.

I've been reading up and will probably be looking at the texecom range.

I understand the idea being Dual Tec's - but not so sure about the QUADs.

As I understand, the Dual Tec's use both microwave and PIR to detect movement - should one of the two trigger, no alarm will sound - should both detect then alarm will sound.

However, could someone provide a summary of QUADs and when/why they would be installed over standard PIRs?

The Texecom Prestige Quad is only a few quid more than the bog standard Prestige Compact IR but the Dual's are almost double.

Also, these mirrored optics - more expensive than the QUADs but cheaper than the Dualtecs - what's the benefit of them?

Thanks!

Alex

P.S. I understand that both the 4 "box" sextions need to be activated before the alarm sounds but texecom advertise this for "harsh" env. yet some forum threads here use it as standard?

I don't quite understand that! :)

i use quads as standard, less chance of false alarms. Not that much to think about, you have the right idea.

Hi, Basically all movement detectors work on the same principle-they see movement of some description.

PIR's Should theoretically see heat movement or a change in heat distribution-but all PIR's are not equal.

Cheaper PIR's can react to certain movements that should be regarded as inoffensive-such as a curtain moving or a piece of paper dropping off a notice board-the better devices will discriminate between the two and provide more security against false alarms.

At the higher end as you have said combined infra red/microwave will meet the criteria but are more expensive.

A cheap PIR may well just send a beam out at and look for movement-a quad sends numerous beams out looking for movement and ascertaining wheather that movement should be regarded as a intruder situation.

This is a classic example of why the regs are being implemented/updated-The aim especially with monitored or policed systems is to reduce false alarms-and thus unwarranted police response whilst they could be at a more serious crime scene.

Obviously the better a detector is at doing it's job the more people will trust it for what it's supposed to do!!.

But the same applies for the domestic bells only system as well-you want to know that if it's gone off-It's gone off for a legitamate reason!.

Richard.

A cheap PIR may well just send a beam out at and look for movement-a quad sends numerous beams out looking for movement and ascertaining wheather that movement should be regarded as a intruder situation.

WTF? :hmm:passive infra red

De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da

i use quads as standard as well :)

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

thanks for the replies - i'll buy them 4 beam ones ;) hehe

so quads minimum then - any good manufacturers then? or is the texecom prestige a sure bet?

*beam me up scotty*

//gets my coat

In my opinion, and it is only an opinion, the choice of manufacturer is often quite personal.

People tend to have their own favourites. Personnally I like Optex detectors but have fitted loads of Texecom PIRs (but not quads) and have found them to be as reliable as any other.

Archived