Security Installer Community

Optima Xm6 Possible Power Fault

kellyg

Hello, We lost the power to our alarm for about 1 hr, it was ok for a couple of days after that then started to play up. Basically I thought the backup battery was faulty so replaced it but it turns out that something is draining it. I can recharge the battery and the alarm is ok for a couple of days then gradually the LEDs within my PIRs come on and stay on and then the green 'Day' LED on the alarm panel itself will go out and it's then not possible to set the alarm at all.

Any ideas gratefully received before calling in an expert......thanks.

seen a few problems with these panels due to power cuts and scrap batteries

but what you are saying ?

i realy think you need the profesionels in .

it may be the charging circuit , short , ??

needs looking at

did you change the battery for new??

after first turning mains off

Hello, We lost the power to our alarm for about 1 hr, it was ok for a couple of days after that then started to play up. Basically I thought the backup battery was faulty so replaced it but it turns out that something is draining it. I can recharge the battery and the alarm is ok for a couple of days then gradually the LEDs within my PIRs come on and stay on and then the green 'Day' LED on the alarm panel itself will go out and it's then not possible to set the alarm at all.

Any ideas gratefully received before calling in an expert......thanks.

How are you charging the battery?

charging circuit?

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

charging circuit?

It just seems strange in the context of the OP, if the panel is charging the battery then the battery is going flat it clearly points to an intermittent connection (possibly a dodgy fuseholder or loose connection from transformer.

If the OP is charging the battery using an external charger perhaps the mains supply to the panel is faulty.

I can recharge the battery and the alarm is ok for a couple of days

Hi Kelly, as lawandorder asked, how do you charge the battery, the answer to this will govern our answer to your problem?

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

you need to put a meter on the battery leads with the battery disconnected and take a reading, then do the same with the battery connected.

if not flat and actually a good battery you should see a reading of about 13.4 - 13.8 volts (with a fully charged battery), or a lower voltage say around 12v or slightly higher which gradually increases as the battery charges.

if disconnecting the battery with the power on (BE VERY CAREFUL WORKING WITH POWER ON) causes the alarm to 'die' then the system obviously has a further fault, which might be a fuse on the pcb, blown regulator on the pcb (fatal) or duff transformer (replaceable but i'd say better to buy a decent panel).

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived