Security Installer Community

Company Vans / Cars

ViperMK2

What do you have as a company Van or Car?

I would imagine most installers will have Vans and Service engineers would ideally like to have cars or estates.

Being a service Engineer, I don't see the need to have a van as the amount of stock I carry only warrants a small storage compartment. Obviously I need to carry ladders and steps but I find that having to climb the van to release the ladders is tedious at best.

I know in the past, cars and estates have been taxed more but now the tax has been reduced for smaller CC cars over larger CC vans. This I know as some of my previous work colleagues have different vehicles, one with an Astra Estate (1300CDTI) which has less tax than and Astra Van(1700CDTI) simply because the estate produces less emissions than the van.

Given the choice, which would you have? And would you use it more (if it was the estate) for private mileage.

Tax wise, I was just given the tax code of 222L as opposed to the standard 522L and seeing as I only used the van sporadically (just because i could), told the tax office over the phone, that i would no longer use it for private use. they simply said to me, "No problem, we will change it back to 522L"

rant time

The van I have is a Nissan Kubistar, not bad driving if your a freak, you need to have short legs and short arms to drive it comfortably. You cant even wedge your knee under the steering wheel to drive while you eat gripetl1.gif

Oh, how I long to get back to driving a good old Astra estate 1043420644hq4.gif

Reading it back now it all looks a bit random but I'm sure you'll get the drift.

As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless, uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?

as a service engineer the last van i had was a Peugeot 206 1.4 hdi (turbo diesel) average 54mpg low tax & insurance, saved the company a fortune on fuel and i liked it for nipping around, the only down side was it only held a short 3 rung ladder so ther were a few jobs they couldnt send me to.

now i have a fiat scudo (same as expert/dispatch) average 30mpg, 2 sliding doors great storage.

but in a few months il hopefully get a Renault kangoo for better mpg.

but in a few months il hopefully get a Renault kangoo for better mpg.

As far as I'm aware the Kangoo and Kubistar are exactly the same, built in the same factory with the same parts, only they stick a different badge on at the end. Hopefully the stereo is better.

I could always have them mixed up with something else though kickpn9.gif

As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless, uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?

• 2 weeks later...

ive got a renault megane estate sport tourer, which is a 1.5ltr turbo diesel. pretty nippy, comfy, has air con and cruise control, and i can comfortably drive with my knees even tho im only 5ft10! i spend some days on install work and some on service, all the lads at my company have estate cars and we just put stuff on the back seat if we need to, some more so than others. one of the lads has a back seat so full that the back end only just clears speed humps lol. surprised hes not bin done for overloading yet........

Guest Cerberus NI
What do you have as a company Van or Car?

I would imagine most installers will have Vans and Service engineers would ideally like to have cars or estates.

Being a service Engineer, I don't see the need to have a van as the amount of stock I carry only warrants a small storage compartment. Obviously I need to carry ladders and steps but I find that having to climb the van to release the ladders is tedious at best.

I know in the past, cars and estates have been taxed more but now the tax has been reduced for smaller CC cars over larger CC vans. This I know as some of my previous work colleagues have different vehicles, one with an Astra Estate (1300CDTI) which has less tax than and Astra Van(1700CDTI) simply because the estate produces less emissions than the van.

Given the choice, which would you have? And would you use it more (if it was the estate) for private mileage.

Tax wise, I was just given the tax code of 222L as opposed to the standard 522L and seeing as I only used the van sporadically (just because i could), told the tax office over the phone, that i would no longer use it for private use. they simply said to me, "No problem, we will change it back to 522L"

[

In relation to "private use" you might get hit next year as the tax man calls travelling to your first job as private milage unless you can convince him that you are going to an "appointment" then that's allowed.

I had tried (unsuccessfully) for years to argue that I had no alternative but to bring the vehicle home as I needed it 24/7 for call out etc. but they wouldn't have it.They suggested that I park the car at the office at the end of each day but that would involve getting the ferry to Stranraer then driving to Glasgow at the time!!

I now am "purchasing" my own vehicle with the company making a vehicle donation so I don't lose my allowance.

In relation to the 1.3 Astra deisel I know that the guys that I have been talking to in the national that use them said initially that you were never done changing gear and now,with a few engineer miles on them,they are falling apart mechanically - just can't stick the pace.

You might want to have a look here

Beware of the 'work journeys'.

If you have to go to the office at start and end of day, the journey between home and office is classed as private, NOT work related. Obviously this does not include the odd occasions but be aware the tax man may check and if the odd occasion is more than he deems acceptable, he'll have you.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

All of the 1300cdti's at our branch have been in and out of the garage,they really arn't up to the job.

kent is a bit of a pig for any vehicle or at least it used to be when I lived there.

Archived