Security Installer Community

Problem With Video Over Cat5e Using Baluns

Djbesman

If the distances turn out to be too far for the passive baluns and I need to fit an active one is this best at the camera or DVR end?

I can mix these can't I?

As I am led to believe, if the distance is not far enough two active baluns could cause a too strong signal.

Thanks in advance.

Though i've not tried it, i'm led to believe you can mix passive with active as long as the active is at the DVR end.

I had a run of 430m joined with gell connectors on passives that gave 4 great colour pictures using Dynamic VLD cameras onto a Dynamic Mpeg4 DVR using their own baluns.

HTH

Edited by camstop

• 6 years later...

Problems occur with cat 5 cable when using up to 4 cameras on this cable when the distances are not equal i.e when the first camera installed is at 10 meters for example and the next camera is wired 20 meters further on and so on for the next two cameras. We generally install the cat 5 to a central point then "branch" off using rg59 to the cameras. This way the cat 5 lengths are equal.

Problems occur with cat 5 cable when using up to 4 cameras on this cable when the distances are not equal i.e when the first camera installed is at 10 meters for example and the next camera is wired 20 meters further on and so on for the next two cameras. We generally install the cat 5 to a central point then "branch" off using rg59 to the cameras. This way the cat 5 lengths are equal.

never had this problem before. We took over a shopping centre where a large cat5 was run to a jb then a single cat5 to each camera.

never had this problem before. We took over a shopping centre where a large cat5 was run to a jb then a single cat5 to each camera.

Agreed, ive installed cat5 (always use cat5) with it branching wherever i need it to.

Never used active baluns and ive got runs getting up to 1km.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.