Security Installer Community

Walk Testing Large Jobs And Fault Finding

nintenbo

Radio RKP, wouldn't that be a dream come true! You could sit in the van programming while the apprentice clears up!

dunno about radio BUT there was a panel with 'planned' infra red engineer r.k.p's the (then) new g3 europlex,don't know if it ever did have as i done the course and never see one after that(THANKFULLY) :P

Guest anguscanplay
Thats fine once you know all the zones are in correct sequence but on the first walk test you need to verify correct zones .

just connect em all right in the first place and double check when you do your voltage readings, talk about make life hard for yourself

On the Galaxy, it's much easier to just press the # key while in walk test and scroll through the zones numerically, comparing tested zones with your zone list. Then you can go back and check any that weren't tested.

Does everybody else disable RKP outputs aswell?

Trade Member

On the Galaxy, it's much easier to just press the # key while in walk test and scroll through the zones numerically, comparing tested zones with your zone list. Then you can go back and check any that weren't tested.

Does everybody else disable RKP outputs aswell?

i do can not stand the bleeping...although makes it really intresting when they come to set if you have left them programmed spare :P

Europlex do make a wireless RKP. I have never used it but I have seen it in action. If I have any doubts about the circuits being mixed up then I will spare all but one and walk test that one only.

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

I always liked the Veritas 8 for walk testing. Providing you can hear the speaker, the offending active zone would give out beeps identifying it. Example, ZONE 1 active, then just a simple BEEP, pause, BEEP, pause.... ZONE 3 would be BEEP BEEP BEEP, pause, BEEP BEEP BEEP, pause..... Of course, only an 8 zone panel so this logic on a panel with 100 zones would be a nightmare lol.

The old VISTA panel was quite smart. When set up for 'point ID', the system could be armed up straight after leaving Engineer mode wether zones were active or not. Then simply walk test the thing, and ring up for the results. That logic would be handy on the G3.

I've always said, that if a panel doesn't posess an important feature that greatly benefits the engineer, then firstly, they are not made by engineers, and secondly, they don't listen to their recommendations. Galaxy seems to fit this criteria. It's simply a 'like it or lump it' panel. It has it's good points, but lacks in the bread and butter department that is the engineer pleasing area.

ACE.gif

Guest anguscanplay
If I have any doubts about the circuits being mixed up then I .........

just tamper that one to check ?

you boys do make life hard for yourselves LOL

just tamper that one to check ?

you boys do make life hard for yourselves LOL

agreed - i always do to make sure i am 'fault finding' the right zone - amazing how many time you find you're not.

It goes back to, in my case, a fault call i got called to 18 years ago at a biggish factory in Hull, the security guard let me in and then left - reported:fault activation on a sensor and now sensor won,t clear down(at the time i was working for a company that had a guarding section as well as a alarm side so we all had radios ) and i went to what i thought was the offending zone. Started looking at said sensor then heard a noise from back of factory. Daft me went to look and found a druggie alongside a knocked down door - i vacated the area PDQ and got on my hand held to c/s who got the troops back. My wife, who was sat in the car at the time outside, heard my call on the main set and moved my car closer and then moved us to a safe distance. Daft thing was that i think i made things worse by doing that in that was he (the druggie) was accosted by a mountain of guards and police he went off on one but i was looking after numero uno.

Further investigations found that two zones had been mixed around in a interface unit it was the panel that preceded the galaxy - microtech exuctive (bet some of you youger ones did,nt realise that galaxy once started out as a different animal) hence the mix up. Systems were bought into place for both guards (Check all of the premises not just the offending zone area!) and the engineers (always be 100% sure you are working on the right zone).

I have always carried this rule on ever since - once bitten and all that!!

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

engineers (always be 100% sure you are working on the right zone).

- AND you're not left in the premises on your own.

For your own security (not just physical) don't work in premises on your own - walk away.

If the owner/key holder wants to leave you on your own, leave with them, explaining why.

Done it many a time, and after a little thought they appreciate the reasons and stay.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

i know the feeling. with the M800 you have to make a rough list of the zones and then tick them off one by one via the log, as the walk test does not display zones tested at the end. pain in the hole compared to the old TS range.

I think you will find they do. Push esc to exit walk test and then ent to scroll through tested cct's

Archived