Security Installer Community

Gardtec Speech Dialler

DES

nearly the right info - but wrong resistor value suggested and fit it between 12v + AUX and trigger, use 2.2k minimum just to pull the input more positive when not active, as the unit needs a decently defined voltage swing to negative to operate it (as do most dialers because iof the action of shokty input gates).

regs

alan

nearly the right info, gardtec recommend 6k8 with this dialler. ;)

:lol:

As Angus said as i have been to a premises and rhey have a no dial out facility!

There is no other explanition as its worked before and nothing has changed. Its either they cannot dial out or a faulty unit.

!

check they`ve paid their phone bill?

but would the unit not tehn indicate 'FC' (or something like it for fail to communicate) in the display if it was successfully triggered? i'm not sure if it has this facility as a long time since i've used them :unsure:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

As Angus said as i have been to a premises and rhey have a no dial out facility!

There is no other explanition as its worked before and nothing has changed. Its either they cannot dial out or a faulty unit.

can i beg to disagree :unsure:

many engineers don't realise for the most reliable operation of most 'bolt on' Tx device's you need a decent voltage swing, and that was very evident on the the old SD1's especially on Gardtec panels using the outputs. they don't site at a strong 'high' but a leaky high, so they can work when tested but can be very unreliably in triggering due to atmospherics or local RFi if that simple bias resistor is omitted - just trust me on this :) .

as always, simpy reduce the outside 'influences', to test it properly it's best to eliminate the panel from the equation, so disconnect input wiring from the panel outputs and connect the input of the dialer 1st to aux + then quickly to aux - to see if it then communicates - if so i'm right - if not (well no chance of that is there ? ;) )

my advice is you could try the above on that removed unit at home to see if it's actually ok, then at least you know you have a working unit with you to start off with before you return - and fit the resistor ;) B) .

regs

alan

can i beg to disagree :unsure:

many engineers don't realise for the most reliable operation of most 'bolt on' Tx device's you need a decent voltage swing, and that was very evident on the the old SD1's especially on Gardtec panels using the outputs. they don't site at a strong 'high' but a leaky high, so they can work when tested but can be very unreliably in triggering due to atmospherics or local RFi if that simple bias resistor is omitted - just trust me on this :) .

as always, simpy reduce the outside 'influences', to test it properly it's best to eliminate the panel from the equation, so disconnect input wiring from the panel outputs and connect the input of the dialer 1st to aux + then quickly to aux - to see if it then communicates - if so i'm right - if not (well no chance of that is there ? ;) )

my advice is you could try the above on that removed unit at home to see if it's actually ok, then at least you know you have a working unit with you to start off with before you return - and fit the resistor ;) B) .

regs

alan

Thanks for all these replies.

I can confirm that this is a dialler I fitted some years ago. It certainly used to work!

When I checked it, I carried out a test call by applying the -ve trigger. The dialler appeared to be trying to call, as when the engineer or user code was subsequently entered, the "Ab" code was displayed - "Abort". However, no call had been successfully connected.

After several attempts, I decided it must be a faulty unit. So I replaced it with a brand new one I happened to have with me from a cancellation :angry:

That unit did exactly the same.

Therefore, I have concluded the fault must be something to do with the phone line.

I even connected it direct to BT's test socket to make sure there was no other equipment connected which might interfere, but exactly the same again.

I have not tried using the resistors though - in fact, on all the many diallers I have fitted over the last 10 years or so, I've never used resistors. Perhaps I've been lucky?

I must make arrangements to return, and give the resistors a try.

Thanks again guys for your help.

nearly the right info, gardtec recommend 6k8 with this dialler. ;)

:lol:

Pah! aE - what do they know :)

seriously, make them 2.2k experience tells ;)

regs

alan

Guest anguscanplay
Thanks for all these replies.

I can confirm that this is a dialler I fitted some years ago. It certainly used to work!

When I checked it, I carried out a test call by applying the -ve trigger. The dialler appeared to be trying to call, as when the engineer or user code was subsequently entered, the "Ab" code was displayed - "Abort". However, no call had been successfully connected.

After several attempts, I decided it must be a faulty unit. So I replaced it with a brand new one I happened to have with me from a cancellation :angry:

That unit did exactly the same.

Therefore, I have concluded the fault must be something to do with the phone line.

I even connected it direct to BT's test socket to make sure there was no other equipment connected which might interfere, but exactly the same again.

I have not tried using the resistors though - in fact, on all the many diallers I have fitted over the last 10 years or so, I've never used resistors. Perhaps I've been lucky?

I must make arrangements to return, and give the resistors a try.

Thanks again guys for your help.

sorry, but that reads like you havnt even tried dialling out from the socket with a normal handset - surely thats my mistake in reading ?

isnt it?

I hope so

Has the owner changed his mobile no?

I had this and the old one had been cancelled and the dialler could not comm.

Have you tried the dialler calling your mobile? Thats what i do first with the dialler or new vo comm.

Another cause is they have changed their mobile and cannot programme(or cant be bothered) the dialler so callout but the owner does not tell you they have changed the number!

!

Guest anguscanplay
Has the owner changed his mobile no?

I had this and the old one had been cancelled and the dialler could not comm.

Have you tried the dialler calling your mobile? Thats what i do first with the dialler or new vo comm.

Another cause is they have changed their mobile and cannot programme(or cant be bothered) the dialler so callout but the owner does not tell you they have changed the number!

or they havnt paid the bill

or they now have broadband

or they have " virtual exchange" enabled

or there a fault on the line

please,please,please confirm you`ve checked the line for a dial tone first

or they havnt paid the bill

or they now have broadband

or they have " virtual exchange" enabled

or there a fault on the line

please,please,please confirm you`ve checked the line for a dial tone first

a dial tone dosn't mean it will ring out, but i agree with what you are trying to say. it seems he hasn't even tried making a call from the landline in question.

Archived