Security Installer Community

Pir Positioning Advice And Best Practices

kuchars22

if you`d stopped to read it it makes perfecr sense - its an example of how good practise ( joining an inspectorate) can be down to personall preference - like I said at the top of this thread ( but topalarm seems to want to imply something totaly different) its down to what you do IT HAS NO RELEVANCE TO GOOD OR BAD WORKING PRACTISE which side of the room you fit a sensor

right now to sit down and read arf`s ramblings LOL

you were taking the piss, making out SSAIB is below NSI, now shut up and sit in the corner. :yes:

mr shockers are designed to false alarm ;)

Guest anguscanplay
you were taking the piss, making out SSAIB is below NSI, now shut up and sit in the corner. :yes: mr shockers are designed to false alarm ;)

forgot your one of that crowd too PMSL, no as I say I was just showing TOPALARM ( oxymoron if ever I heard one) that there are two ways to think of things depending on where your starting fromthe shocks are there to false alarm, it`ll just speed up the comfirmation if she gets held again

:):):)

Conflicting advice on the site!

er - hardly headline news that, is it ?

forgot your one of that crowd too PMSL, no as I say I was just showing TOPALARM ( oxymoron if ever I heard one) that there are two ways to think of things depending on where your starting fromthe shocks are there to false alarm, it`ll just speed up the comfirmation if she gets held again

:):):)

er - hardly headline news that, is it ?

I'm guessing that contacts are preferable to PIRs, for the simple fact that they are less prone (unless there is an electrical/wiring fault) to false alarms. So after reading this debate, in a residential home, should first priority be to use contacts for the perimeter where possible, and only then consider PIRs as an alternative if positioning contacts is not an option, or there is a very low risk of generating false alarms (if such a place ever exists)?

(ps - we only fit dueltechs LOL)

We are talking about PIRs NOT DualTecs, apart from that DualTecs were not around 30 years ago

Beg to differ, actually - Dual Technology detection was around 30 years ago -

Racal, among other lesser known names such as Franklyn (remember Fanklyn who made the forerunner to the JB Bentley panels?) - made and sold dual tec devices containing an ultrasonic detector and an active microwave detector. In Racal's case they developed it into the Gemini in the 80's, which sold in large numbers.

Regards,

Bill Boyd.

Core Fire and Security.

www.corefire.co.uk

0845 224 6072

I'm guessing that contacts are preferable to PIRs, for the simple fact that they are less prone (unless there is an electrical/wiring fault) to false alarms. So after reading this debate, in a residential home, should first priority be to use contacts for the perimeter where possible, and only then consider PIRs as an alternative if positioning contacts is not an option, or there is a very low risk of generating false alarms (if such a place ever exists)?

Contacts only work if the door or window is opened, think about it - pirs detect movement however it got there and are generally stable when properly installed - ignore anguscan'tplay, proper siting and installation of all components on an alarm system are important factors.

Guest anguscanplay
Contacts only work if the door or window is opened, think about it - pirs detect movement however it got there and are generally stable when properly installed - ignore anguscan'tplay, proper siting and installation of all components on an alarm system are important factors.

proper fixing is important, unless your putting it outside, in a consvrty or looking at an open fire it wont make a blind bit of difference to the false alarm rate - just some firms do it one way and some do it the other thats all.

why dont you just put 2 360 detectors in make one a quad and the other a dual tech, board all your windows up with 2 inch ply using non retractable security screws and live like a mushroom.

TVX systems what a good idea by the time the picture had downloaded the intruder would have been long gone.
SFE.Solutions security systems

Depends on circumstances, pir may not be best choice we dont use pirs only dualtechs, others may use something else in your case.

The area of glass in front of the pir relative to its field of view is an important point - glass in the distance will be a different risk to glass close up. Point is if any form of false alarm risk can be designed out it should be, that isn't personal choice that is good practice - some installers follow good practice others follow their nose!

Just like to point out that dual techs are no better than pir's it just depends on the enviroment they are used in. e.g you might put a dual tech in a house and not turn the microwave down only for it to see staight through the window. Or you might put a dual tech where there is a lot of metal only to get it bouncing around all over the place.

Get a good quality pir with pulse count and fuzzy logic, set it to three pulse then place it.

Remember christmass decs hanging from the ceiling are the biggest form of faulse alarms and callouts this time of year

TVX systems what a good idea by the time the picture had downloaded the intruder would have been long gone.
SFE.Solutions security systems

Just like to point out that dual techs are no better than pir's it just depends on the enviroment they are used in. e.g you might put a dual tech in a house and not turn the microwave down only for it to see staight through the window. Or you might put a dual tech where there is a lot of metal only to get it bouncing around all over the place.

Dualtechs are by design generally better than pirs as it requires two technologies to trip rather than one. As with the proper positioning of pirs (ignore anguscan'tplay) the proper adjustment of microwaves is important - even then it may not see a window cleaner but it may well see the binmens wagon but as long as the other doesnt trip your okay.

Get a good quality pir with pulse count and fuzzy logic, set it to three pulse then place it.

Some pirs are very good but not if you have to rely on pulse count 3.

Remember christmass decs hanging from the ceiling are the biggest form of faulse alarms and callouts this time of year

Very true.

Archived