Security Installer Community

Pir Positioning Advice And Best Practices

kuchars22

Guest anguscanplay
PIRs facing areas of external glazing is not good practice.

PIRs facing heat sources is not good practice.

Fact it doesnt always cause problems doesnt make it good practice.

it`s like marmite mate - your good practice is my bad practice and vice versa, you`ll note I`m not saying DONT do this, that or the other, just telling the O/P not to worry about it.

it`s like marmite mate - your good practice is my bad practice and vice versa, you`ll note I`m not saying DONT do this, that or the other, just telling the O/P not to worry about it.

Nah marmite is personal taste pir positioning is good practice or bad practice always best to advise good practice.

Guest anguscanplay
Nah marmite is personal taste pir positioning is good practice or bad practice always best to advise good practice.

argue it`s better to show that area is protected - as I said it is personall choice not good or bad practise

What do you do in all these new builds with through lounge/dining then, with wondows at both ends.

come on clever dicks ?

:P

Depends on circumstances, pir may not be best choice we dont use pirs only dualtechs, others may use something else in your case.

The area of glass in front of the pir relative to its field of view is an important point - glass in the distance will be a different risk to glass close up. Point is if any form of false alarm risk can be designed out it should be, that isn't personal choice that is good practice - some installers follow good practice others follow their nose!

Guest anguscanplay
Point is if any form of false alarm risk can be designed out it should be, that isn't personal choice that is good practice - some installers follow good practice others follow their nose!

some installers get it right others join the SSAIB. our quick straw poll said it is not good practise to have the sensors where they can`t be seen from outside - it might lead the intruder to think theres no detector in that room. theres no good or bad practise to this its what you and your company decide to do on the site. we put em looking at the window others dont. good or bad practise is wether you drill and screw them, blu tak them on or run the cables through the same holes as the mains

some installers get it right others join the SSAIB. our quick straw poll said it is not good practise to have the sensors where they can`t be seen from outside - it might lead the intruder to think theres no detector in that room. theres no good or bad practise to this its what you and your company decide to do on the site. we put em looking at the window others dont. good or bad practise is wether you drill and screw them, blu tak them on or run the cables through the same holes as the mains

Please expand on the difference between NSI GOLD and SSAIB ISO?

Keep your posts on point matey, don't make any sense that comment.

hi all,

this will make Angus suicidal, i'm about to be on Angis's side for a change :banned:

regarding pir positioning, my view is based on many years experience of servicing and call out on just about most types of alarm systems, it is very rare that anyone blocks a doorway, but how often do they stick a ruddy great rubber plant in a corner, a display cabinet or a buch of helium filled balloons? not very often have i seen a radiator installed across a door, but seen many radiators under windows replaced by virticale radiaors either side - which is then directly under the pir.

it is impossible to mount a pir to avoid all heat sources, it will alway be able to 'see' radiators or turbulance from one if hidden behind a couch, but that is not a problem, as long as you don't position the unit directly (or nearly directly) above it.

i have many many systems where the pir faces a window, which is far and always better than being above a radiator (where many windows have them fitted), also people fit those wall to wall curtain's which then obscure the detector, and even dual tecs don't like or work well in that location.

so nitty gritty time.

it was never a problem with ultrasonics, but then microwaves came along and you would only point them at a window if you hated sleeping, and thats where the original advise came from about sighting.

early pir detectors were very prone to high sun spot activity, or bright sunny days with sparse cloud cover is more prevalent at certain times of year. this fluctuating energy is reflected from shinny surfaces like polished tables and floors of horizontal flat glass area's like coffee tables. imo newer units are far less prone, i'd say over the 27 years of trading, only 2 were ever repositioned for possible reflected sunlight-light reasons.

so shout, stamp your feet and scream at me all you want, placing detectors to view windows is not bad practice especially when considering the alternatives against what are the real life issues instead of theories.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
Please expand on the difference between NSI GOLD and SSAIB ISO?

Keep your posts on point matey, don't make any sense that comment.

if you`d stopped to read it it makes perfecr sense - its an example of how good practise ( joining an inspectorate) can be down to personall preference - like I said at the top of this thread ( but topalarm seems to want to imply something totaly different) its down to what you do IT HAS NO RELEVANCE TO GOOD OR BAD WORKING PRACTISE which side of the room you fit a sensor

right now to sit down and read arf`s ramblings LOL

Archived