Security Installer Community

Send Power Thru Coax

jezf

Are there any 4ch dvr systems that are capable of sending the power to the camera down the wire from the dvr unit? I don't want to get involved with outdoor power supplies.

For home use.

not sure i think there may be some called line fed cameras that are fed through the coax but having never used line fed cameras not sure how they connect to the dvr.

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Guest anguscanplay
Are there any 4ch dvr systems that are capable of sending the power to the camera down the wire from the dvr unit? I don't want to get involved with outdoor power supplies.

For home use.

cat 5 not an option?

cat5 is...but does this handle power? can you point me to an example of this sort of system?

basically in the past i have put together a geovision 16ch system which is running nicely, but we had to get an electrician to install power points at each camera - no easy task!

cat 5 not an option?

good point angus, if the o/p could use cat 5 then they would have the advantage of running 3 cameras and 12vdc power through.

do you agree :hmm:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

CAT5e can be used, you need a pair of baluns which have a tap off for power, you also need to know how to fit the RJ45 plugs and also have the crimp tool :unsure:

Phillips did a home observation kit a while back, which was supplied with legnths of ready made cables which you could buy extensions for, a bit expensive though.

tbh, nothing to stop you running conventional RG59 coax along with a telephone type 2 pair cable for the power, and easier if your a bit lite on tools and skills, but you have still to fit the coax plugs, you can get 'shotgun' cable which has the power pair attached in a figure of 8 formation, so horses for courses really and depends how long the runs are.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Apart from an expensive high end 1/2" Sony camera, and a few obscure low end far eastern jobbies, it's extremely rare these days to come across any line powered cameras. As for line power out DVR's, personally I've never come across one.

Line powered cameras used to be quite popular for small internal system work in the '70s and '80's, basically because the cost of providing a 240v supply was often more expensive than the cost of a multiplex power supply unit. Then along came 12v / 24v cameras and the rules all changed.

For anyone that's interested, TOA, Sony, Baxall, Sharp (to name but a few) all offered very good quality line powered models, but almost all have long since been dropped from the product ranges.

If it's possible to use CAT 5 for your home install jezf, then that's probably the easiest and cheapest way to go.

Apart from an expensive high end 1/2" Sony camera, and a few obscure low end far eastern jobbies, it's extremely rare these days to come across any line powered cameras. As for line power out DVR's, personally I've never come across one.

Line powered cameras used to be quite popular for small internal system work in the '70s and '80's, basically because the cost of providing a 240v supply was often more expensive than the cost of a multiplex power supply unit. Then along came 12v / 24v cameras and the rules all changed.

For anyone that's interested, TOA, Sony, Baxall, Sharp (to name but a few) all offered very good quality line powered models, but almost all have long since been dropped from the product ranges.

If it's possible to use CAT 5 for your home install jezf, then that's probably the easiest and cheapest way to go.

i have wired cat5 and have the crimping tool, as i setup my home computer network about a year ago.

so is the idea to run the coax from the dvr unit to each camera, and run a separate cat5 cable for the power to each camera?

how do i translate the cat5 core into the circular power end at each camera (and again at the power supply end?)

CAT5e can be used, you need a pair of baluns which have a tap off for power, you also need to know how to fit the RJ45 plugs and also have the crimp tool :unsure:

Phillips did a home observation kit a while back, which was supplied with legnths of ready made cables which you could buy extensions for, a bit expensive though.

tbh, nothing to stop you running conventional RG59 coax along with a telephone type 2 pair cable for the power, and easier if your a bit lite on tools and skills, but you have still to fit the coax plugs, you can get 'shotgun' cable which has the power pair attached in a figure of 8 formation, so horses for courses really and depends how long the runs are.

regs

alan

alan is this the sort of adapter i need:

http://www.svideo.com/500024.html

if so, how do i attach the 2 core power of this adapter to the circular power cable on the camera?

Archived