Security Installer Community

Cable Connection

noopin

I know that this is a fairly basic question but would appreciate assistance. In order to hide the wires beneath floorboards, I disconnected a 6-core window sensor cable at a junction box. Only on refitting did I spot that one terminal was common to two coloured wires and, of course... I have no idea which two.

It's an Optima plus 2, with Red/Black/Green/Yellow/White/Blue cable. Is there a standard arrangement, or can I test each one to determine?

Thanks.

help us out here what coloured wire, goes to where at the panel.

and also what colours go where to the sensor and what are the terminals marked at the sensor.

other than this info we would be guessing

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Reminds me of the Sparky rhyme.

Red to red, black to black, blue to bits!

Bit out of date with the new colours now, like me!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

tad late i know, but if you ever do this again cut each wire (one at a time) leaving a small portion of the coloured sleeving. that way you know where they all came from B)

if professionally installed then each engineer and every company usually have their own preferred colour scheme, but if a diy fit well i hope your God is on yur side :fear:

you could open another detector if you have one or a pir and have a look, as most likely (but no promises) the same code is used for each detector, at least the 12 volt power will likely be the same so you have a starting point at least - post the colours in a pir along with what you thought the window detector used.

you need to take care as shorting out the power to the detector will likely blow a fuse and resulting in the external siren operating from lack of charging (if wird correctly)

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I simply didn't notice, when disconnecting, that the middle two terminals were linked - so it never occurred to me that there might be a problem later.

Right, I've had a look in the detector - Red 12v Black 0v

Green/Yellow Tamper

White/Blue Alarm

Of course, it's just possible that the linked terminal in the junction box wasn't used for more than one wire, there is another single terminal spare.

I simply didn't notice, when disconnecting, that the middle two terminals were linked - so it never occurred to me that there might be a problem later.

Right, I've had a look in the detector - Red 12v Black 0v

Green/Yellow Tamper

White/Blue Alarm

Of course, it's just possible that the linked terminal in the junction box wasn't used for more than one wire, there is another single terminal spare.

have you got any contacts like the one on the front door that is the same that you could carefully remove and check out?

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Everywhere else uses PIRs, this is the back upstairs window. I've got tenants starting Monday, so need to get this fixed. I can connect all the wires to the same colour at the junction box; what I need to know is whether there are two wires (from the detector connections I noted above) that need to be joined - I'm pretty sure the linked terminal was used before I unwired it.

Everywhere else uses PIRs, this is the back upstairs window. I've got tenants starting Monday, so need to get this fixed. I can connect all the wires to the same colour at the junction box; what I need to know is whether there are two wires (from the detector connections I noted above) that need to be joined - I'm pretty sure the linked terminal was used before I unwired it.

i would have a guess at tamper been green/yellow so these would need to be put together in a brass type screw on their own and the terminals that are joined in the contact need a white on one end and blue on the other

ill await a flaming :ninja:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Guest anguscanplay
i would have a guess at tamper been green/yellow so these would need to be put together in a brass type screw on their own and the terminals that are joined in the contact need a white on one end and blue on the other

ill await a flaming :ninja:

you`ll get one if you carry on LOL - it` a viper type device, red and black should be power (test em at the joint box with a test meter) then it`s a case of shorting different colors out till you get a clear signal at the panel - work it all out from there by elimination, chances are either the tamper or the circuit were disconnected

you`ll get one if you carry on LOL - it` a viper type device, red and black should be power (test em at the joint box with a test meter) then it`s a case of shorting different colors out till you get a clear signal at the panel - work it all out from there by elimination

:whistle::bruce_h4h:

Archived