Security Installer Community

Do Ir Leds From Cctv Cameras Affect Alarm Pirs

kuchars22

Yeah, but you got to remember that I'm not in the trade. I know that IRs in cameras can generate enough heat to satisfiy a spider's ar5e, and a convector heater can affect the PIR (as mentioned in the Hints and Tips of installing an alarm system). Put heat and heat movement as in a convector heater together, and I assumed that I asked a straightforward question. Not being technical in PIRs, I don't know what level of heat is enough to set off a PIR. What if it was a powerful dennard lamp sitting on a PTZ? Is this still not enough to trigger the PIR (have you fallen of your seat yet?!)

But now that I know, I still can't see the funny side?!

cheers

Better to ask the question than mess up, trying to avoid all possible sources of false alarms can only be good. Dennard lamps are used with external pirs and I have never heard of them causing havoc.

:closed: question answered.....yeah

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Yeah, but you got to remember that I'm not in the trade. I know that IRs in cameras can generate enough heat to satisfiy a spider's ar5e, and a convector heater can affect the PIR (as mentioned in the Hints and Tips of installing an alarm system). Put heat and heat movement as in a convector heater together, and I assumed that I asked a straightforward question. Not being technical in PIRs, I don't know what level of heat is enough to set off a PIR. What if it was a powerful dennard lamp sitting on a PTZ? Is this still not enough to trigger the PIR (have you fallen of your seat yet?!)

But now that I know, I still can't see the funny side?!

cheers

Hi kuchars22,

i did say 'with apologies to the o/p" (o/p = original poster).

insane humour is allowed in hear or it would be a dry dusty old house, and is a small price to pay for the expertise available (we have to be totally barking mad to work in security systems to NVQ grade).

spiders are a pest (if you will pardon the pun) but unless it is on turbo curry powder mixed with Ovaltine, it is a bit unlikely to match a convector heater's thermo output ;)

your confusion is with IR, while it is the element the detector use's, heat sources emit amongst others frequencies in the IR range, the LED light will emit IR but not at the intensity required for a pir detector to activate. so even if you had a panning bracket on your camera the LED will not be a problem.

as for the denhard, usually situation is internal detector v external light source so it will unlikely cause a problem, earlier pir's could be set off by car headlamps if situated to view a window overlooking a drive or road junction, but white light filters now stop this in modern detectors.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

(we have to be totally barking mad to work in security systems to NVQ grade).

I really wish some one could have told me that last statement before i had become trainee as it is soooooooooo true

:D O G:

and no offence was intended to the o/p in any way

(we have to be totally barking mad to work in security systems to NVQ grade).

I really wish some one could have told me that last statement before i had become trainee as it is soooooooooo true

:D O G:

and no offence was intended to the o/p in any way

Yeah I know it wasn't supposed to be offensive, I know what you pros are like! This kind of conversation happens on a daily basis in my office, you gotta have a laugh now and again, especially to a newcomer (Please can you go and ask the foreman for a glass hammer, or a long weight!).

cheers

Yeah I know it wasn't supposed to be offensive, I know what you pros are like! This kind of conversation happens on a daily basis in my office, you gotta have a laugh now and again, especially to a newcomer (Please can you go and ask the foreman for a glass hammer, or a long weight!).

cheers

and bring me the skirting board steps please son :lol:

as many @ 15 i was the tea boy, when i started work in a garage they sent me out for porridge sandwich's, cornflake rolls. being a bit more streetwise than they thought, i got their money 1st then asked the cafe to do as they ordered. they filled the tea jug which i then loaded with pepper. the smirks soon came off their faces when the drank it, i asked "whats up is it a bit too hot?" they did'nt play prank's on me again.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I've done a few little cctv jobs over the past 3 weeks and the same entered my mind for a moment, 1st was dual techs so wasn't too bothered and then the others have been pir's, no problems but did rase an eyebrow until I actually thought about it and then thought plonker lol......... but all's been well so far

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

I've done a few little cctv jobs over the past 3 weeks and the same entered my mind for a moment, 1st was dual techs so wasn't too bothered and then the others have been pir's, no problems but did rase an eyebrow until I actually thought about it and then thought plonker lol......... but all's been well so far

As long as I'm not the only one thinking of this, and that includes tradesmen!

Guest anguscanplay
As long as I'm not the only one thinking of this, and that includes tradesmen!

nope - held my hands up early on, luckily no one noticed

Archived