Security Installer Community

Melcom Micron Pir's On An Optima Compact Panel

David228

I have an ADE Optima Compact 6 zone panel and have Melcom Micron PIR's which are N/O type. I am aware that the ADE panels are N/C.

What do I have to do to wire them up?

I have read that I will need some 33 Kohm pull up resistors - why are they required and where would I buy a couple of them? Would it be easier just to get some N/C PIR's

The system will have two PIR's downstairs, a contact on front door and a keypad upstairs. The PIR's are on the one zone. The house is a fairly new one which had alarm wiring pre-fitted . The downstairs zone has a wire looping into kitchen then terminating in the lounge.

Thanks

I have an ADE Optima Compact 6 zone panel and have Melcom Micron PIR's which are N/O type. I am aware that the ADE panels are N/C.

What do I have to do to wire them up?

I have read that I will need some 33 Kohm pull up resistors - why are they required and where would I buy a couple of them? Would it be easier just to get some N/C PIR's

The system will have two PIR's downstairs, a contact on front door and a keypad upstairs. The PIR's are on the one zone. The house is a fairly new one which had alarm wiring pre-fitted . The downstairs zone has a wire looping into kitchen then terminating in the lounge.

Thanks

Hi David,

it's very rare to find pir's specifically designed for alarm use that are just o/c only, so are you sure (as i din't know of this model)? my advise is otherwise don't try and bodge it to save a few groats, but get decent pirs, they won't break the bank.

so as you understand they only go n/c when powered and no movement detected.

you have enough zones available, so split you pirs onto seperate ones, then if you have any alarm activations you will know which one caused it so easing any later fault finding diagnostics.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Micron PIR

Manufacturer: Lynteck

Specifications:

Detection method: Dual pyro-electric sensor

Operating voltage: 9 to 15Vdc

Current draw: 17mA

Alarm output: Normally closed relay

Alarm period: 2 to 5 seconds

Pulse count: 1, 3, or 5

Operating temp: -10 to + 50C

This is the PIR as it shows the contacts are closed

Micron PIR

Manufacturer: Lynteck

Specifications:

Detection method: Dual pyro-electric sensor

Operating voltage: 9 to 15Vdc

Current draw: 17mA

Alarm output: Normally closed relay

Alarm period: 2 to 5 seconds

Pulse count: 1, 3, or 5

Operating temp: -10 to + 50C

This is the PIR as it shows the contacts are closed

thanks davboy,

i thought as much but when unsure did not want to give conflicting advice

the original poster - no resistors needed if wired in 'conventional' loop configuration

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Dave228, you will get the resistors you need from maplins or rs components or similar. never used this panel / detector so cant give any more advice. if you have researched this and are sure the resistors will work then its certainly the cheapest option. Is the cable supplying both detectors an 8 core? (does it have 8 small cables inside?). if so, you can have both detectors on a separate zone.

Thanks for the replies so far, the PIR I have is actually a 'Melcom Micron Plus', it appears different to the one that Maplins are selling and the info sheet states the alarm contacts are N/O and tamper is N/C.

The cable to PIR's is 6 core.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies so far, the PIR I have is actually a 'Melcom Micron Plus', it appears different to the one that Maplins are selling and the info sheet states the alarm contacts are N/O and tamper is N/C.

The cable to PIR's is 6 core.

Thanks

you could gain individual zones even with a 6 core looped once. you could either upgrade the panel to one capable of EOL wich only needs two cores for zone and tamper.

there is another way you could get individual zones off the 6 core and tamper using the panel you have but it isn't to standards.

ps: if the PIRS are normally open just get rid and get N/C.

Archived