Security Installer Community

Multi Dwelling Intercom Systems

Tesla

Hello,

I have good experience installing RF systems in multi dwelling units and recently have had requests from developers to provide the intercom/entry system for them to.

I have never wired an intercom system from scratch so hopefully can learn a lot on these forums and try and return the favour with my knowledge of RF systems.

As an example can we take a dwelling of say 20 apartments. Video is not required just voice and door entry.

I do not know which brands are good, differences in cables. Best methods for installation. Good suppliers of equipment.

I really do not know very much at all about intercom systems but am a very quick learner and happy to take onboard all advice.

Thanks,

Chris

Hello,

I have good experience installing RF systems in multi dwelling units and recently have had requests from developers to provide the intercom/entry system for them to.

I have never wired an intercom system from scratch so hopefully can learn a lot on these forums and try and return the favour with my knowledge of RF systems.

As an example can we take a dwelling of say 20 apartments. Video is not required just voice and door entry.

I do not know which brands are good, differences in cables. Best methods for installation. Good suppliers of equipment.

I really do not know very much at all about intercom systems but am a very quick learner and happy to take onboard all advice.

Thanks,

Chris

hi Chris,

most standard intercom systems work on "4 + 1" i.e. 4 common cables (common, spkr, mic, release) and a call or 'home' line. some work on 3 + 1.

recent years been big move to 4 wire bus wired where the address is set in the handset, makes wirng very simple and cheap, several makers make coaxless 4 wire video kits, Comolite being one of them and imo excellent. go this route and should one or 2 flats want video no problems, just add camera module

it's not rocket science more logical thinking which ever kit or wiring type you use, but you do need to set yourself up a colour code and keep to it

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

yep BPT is good

I used to maintain local authority intercom systems in small to medium sized blocks. Many were fited with Entryphone systems.

No matter how old the system or obscure the part I requested, Entryphone would post it off same day for very little cost.

Their Tech. support was always outstanding.

They don't do the latest whizz bang kit, just solid "and" long term maintainable stuff.

Most other kit I have used is good untill parts are required, some are impossible to repair after a few years...

Urmet were always good for spares, BPT were always expensive, Bell Systems cheap and cheerful, just to name a few.

Most systems for small installs are going to use standard telephone cable, 3 pair is normally fine including systems that have a "muted" LED requiring a DC supply, but as mentioned a lot of systems are using digital signaling which reduces install time due to the ease of connection, fewer wires etc. This will normally cost more then the "standard" intercom kit.

You pays yer money at the end of the day....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Hello,

Thanks,

Chris

Hi, i would strongly recommend a digital system, Videx have an excellent digital range vx2200 is by far the best and it is a 2 wired Bus system, 2 cores looping in and out around the building. Lcd displaying the tennants flat number or name, audible

instruction i.e (open door etc), you can ring videx and someone can come and give advice of what cable is best,but most just run 3 core flex around the building. Here is the link to look at the kit.

http://www.videx-security.com/products/cat...2C19%2C26%2C27/

Hi, i would strongly recommend a digital system, Videx have an excellent digital range vx2200 is by far the best and it is a 2 wired Bus system, 2 cores looping in and out around the building. Lcd displaying the tennants flat number or name, audible

instruction i.e (open door etc), you can ring videx and someone can come and give advice of what cable is best,but most just run 3 core flex around the building. Here is the link to look at the kit.

http://www.videx-security.com/products/cat...2C19%2C26%2C27/

anyone seen the Urmet Domus Folio 2 wire vidio kit handset?

http://www.urmet.co.uk/Folio_Video_Handset.htm

monitor looks very elegant imo anyone used them?

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived