Security Installer Community

Satellite Broadband Router

energysolutions

Hi,

I have been asked by a friend to add internet access to an existing network within an office. The internet access will be via a BT supplied satellite connection which consists of a dish terminated into a small box with a LAN port which is then cabled to the computer.

I have 3 questions:-

1,Is it possible to add internet connectivety by these means to the existing network and if so, how?

2,To run additional computers from the satellite box with the single LAN port what is required, eg router, and does this have to be a specific type to work with the satellite system or will a router like would be used to distribute cable (non ADSL) broadband be sufficent?

3,Is there a limit to how many machines can be run from this connection?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I have been asked by a friend to add internet access to an existing network within an office. The internet access will be via a BT supplied satellite connection which consists of a dish terminated into a small box with a LAN port which is then cabled to the computer.

1,Is it possible to add internet connectivety by these means to the existing network and if so, how?

2,To run additional computers from the satellite box with the single LAN port what is required, eg router, and does this have to be a specific type to work with the satellite system or will a router like would be used to distribute cable (non ADSL) broadband be sufficent?

Thanks in advance.

This is a Security Forum................ :whistle:

Get a networking guy in if you want it done right; this is a business after all, isn't it?

What you need depends if the network is peer-to-peer or server-centric. For a start what is managing the IP addresses at present?

And where are you? UK is not exactly helpful as a location... :cold2:

Must be somewhere a bit unusual if BT are providing a satellite link.

This is a Security Forum................ :whistle:

Get a networking guy in if you want it done right; this is a business after all, isn't it?

What you need depends if the network is peer-to-peer or server-centric. For a start what is managing the IP addresses at present?

And where are you? UK is not exactly helpful as a location... :cold2:

Must be somewhere a bit unusual if BT are providing a satellite link.

amateurandy:-

Thank you for your input.

You are quite correct, this IS a security forum, but I believe I posted in the "Telecoms and IT" section? :whistle:

I have always held the opinion that if you cannot say something positive, then dont say anything at all.

Now perhaps someone else will point me in the right direction?

amateurandy:-

Thank you for your input.

You are quite correct, this IS a security forum, but I believe I posted in the "Telecoms and IT" section? :whistle:

I have always held the opinion that if you cannot say something positive, then dont say anything at all.

Now perhaps someone else will point me in the right direction?

Pardon?

I did post something helpful; as I said "What you need depends if the network is peer-to-peer or server-centric. For a start what is managing the IP addresses at present?"

If you can supply that information then you will get some helpful advice. :rolleyes:

amateurandy:-Thank you for your input.You are quite correct, this IS a security forum, but I believe I posted in the "Telecoms and IT" section? :whistle: I have always held the opinion that if you cannot say something positive, then dont say anything at all.Now perhaps someone else will point me in the right direction?
LOL
Pardon?I did post something helpful; as I said "What you need depends if the network is peer-to-peer or server-centric. For a start what is managing the IP addresses at present?"If you can supply that information then you will get some helpful advice. :rolleyes:
LOL 2

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

yes it its possible though you need to provide some sort of firewall between BT's box and the existing network switch unless BT's box has one

you could use a route though any network switch will do. though pcs may need dns, and proxys configured

as you a multiple pcs to a single adsl connection they connection may slow + network may become clogged.

best thing to do is search the web for your specific bt connection for advice bit difficult to give advice with little system knowledge

Ok it is possible to do this but 1st you need to answer these questions.

1) How are the existing PC's getting their LAN IP addresses are these all fixed IP address with 192.169.x.x / 172.26.x.x / 10.x.x.x type addresses or is there a DHCP server handing out IP addresses

2) what IP address does the satellite broadband router give out on the "LAN" side i.e what does it tell the computer it is, this is probably the outside "WAN" IP something not in the 192 / 172 / 10 range of private IP's.

IF the answer to 2 is a non "private IP" you need to get a "cable" type router as these have an input for this specifically it looks the same as the LAN but is normally marked "WAN" / "Cable" you simply plug in the satellite router into that.

For your existing network you will need to plug in a PC that will request an IP automatically into the LAN port and check you have a connection out.

Now if the answer to 1 was fixed IP's you may need to do a little reconfiguration of the router so that the ip gateway you have matches or just tell all the PC's to automatically get an IP and all this info will be sent out - I'd configure it to what your current network uses as some network devices have fixed IP's that can't be easily changed example some printers unless you can get to into the configuration pages but that's another matter entirely.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Archived