Security Installer Community

Optima G3 Tamper?

Bigden

This is my first post so please be gentle !!

On my daughters alarm panel (Optima compact G3) it is locked up and showing a tamper problem. It has had three false alarms and it has not been set on two of them.

By the way I am a keen DIYer and just recently replaced my own alarm system. A local thunderstorm fried my panel of my home alarm.

I replaced the panel with a Texecom veritas 8 and replaced my bellbox with a Texecom odysses. I also replaced one of three pir's which was faulty.

I checked all the contacts and tampers and programmed the system and its working great. I did it all with the help from this site, I think its a great one for all budding alarm enthusiast

Now back to my daughters panel. I have looked in the panel and checked the global tamper which was open, so then i went round and checked the pir's and they appeared ok (tight wires) and it is still open. I checked the bellbox tamper and that was open as well. I checked them with a meter.

I was thinking of taking the global tamper out and putting a link in to take one problem out, but obviously it can not be done on the bell tamper.

Is there a way of checking the panels tamper switch?

Also two fuses have blown F3 1A 13 v speaker and F5 1A bell/strobe which I have not yet replaced.

I have got the engineering manual for the panel.

Where do I go from here?

Any advise will be welcome

Dennis :welcome:

Guest Dave the alarm man
Also two fuses have blown F3 1A 13 v speaker and F5 1A bell/strobe which I have not yet replaced.

been damaging cables?

Hi ,

If you have the manual , it will tell you how to link out the tampers (including the bell).

Only when the tampers are clear (and the lid closed) can the panel be reset.

Then deal with the blown fuses , one at a time , then the bell.

As its your daughters alarm , why not get an alarm engineer to fix it.

Regards.

The tamper fault and blown fuses sound like some cables have been damaged (carpet fitters been in recently?) You should check the cabling by eye. A fault like this should be a fairly obvious one to see, as it sounds like a couple of cables have been cut right through.

Trade Member

The tamper fault and blown fuses sound like some cables have been damaged (carpet fitters been in recently?) You should check the cabling by eye. A fault like this should be a fairly obvious one to see, as it sounds like a couple of cables have been cut right through.

QFA

I Think it is good that you know a bit about alarm systems, but finding and fixing faults quickly is much harder then swapping like for like.

it can be more cost effective to call an engineer in these cases as it will nor mally be sorted in an hour.

good luck

Thanks guys for some good info

Yes carpet fitters have been in recently. 2weeks ago. It would be nice if they mentioned that they knicked the cables with a stanley knife or other

I will have a good look at the cables tomorrow and see if any thing is damaged.

I'll keep you posted

The enginner who put the alarm in four years ago has now changed jobs and has become a paramedic, thats why he wasn't called out to the job. He's saving somebodys life now instead of saving houses from the burglars. Does that make sense?

Guest anguscanplay
Thanks guys for some good info

Yes carpet fitters have been in recently. 2weeks ago. It would be nice if they mentioned that they knicked the cables with a stanley knife or other

I will have a good look at the cables tomorrow and see if any thing is damaged.

I'll keep you posted

The enginner who put the alarm in four years ago has now changed jobs and has become a paramedic, thats why he wasn't called out to the job. He's saving somebodys life now instead of saving houses from the burglars. Does that make sense?

does that make sense ? - nope sounds like a feeble excuse for a fiddle around to me and more often than not the cut is so sharp youll not see it.Ring the carpet fitters and tell them your getting AN ALARM ENGINEER IN to repair the damage at a cost of

Just been to have a look for cuts around any cables. Nothing seen.

Took up the upstairs floorboard just above where the cables enter downstairs ceiling and there they were two severed cables and one partly severed............

Hmmm

My daughter forgot to tell me that my grandsons hamster had gone walk about and is still missing. I've set a mousetrap and hope it goes snap very shortly.

I told them that their house could of set on fire if a mains cable had been chewed.

I can now sort it when the b****y hamster makes an appearance. arggg

Thanks for all your help

cheers lads for an excellent forum

Dennis

Guest anguscanplay
Just been to have a look for cuts around any cables. Nothing seen.

Took up the upstairs floorboard just above where the cables enter downstairs ceiling and there they were two severed cables and one partly severed............

Hmmm

My daughter forgot to tell me that my grandsons hamster had gone walk about and is still missing. I've set a mousetrap and hope it goes snap very shortly.

I told them that their house could of set on fire if a mains cable had been chewed.

I can now sort it when the b****y hamster makes an appearance. arggg

Thanks for all your help

cheers lads for an excellent forum

Dennis

damm shame i hate carpet fitters lol

Archived