Security Installer Community

Problems With Alarm...

Hi there! First post (and little knowledge) so please be gentle. :)

I've got an bells only alarm with an ancient Scantronic 9448 control panel. During the storms the other night, apparently the system went off (I was out), but when a neighbour came round to check the house he was unable to switch the alarm off and had to leave it to go off on it's own. We are now unable to set the alarm and pressing the buttons does nothing at all and no tones are heard. There used to be two LEDS lit when the alarm was in 'standby' (green 'power' and red 'day'), but now only the green LED lights. I have opened the panel, found one of the fuses to be blown and so have replaced it with one of the same rating, but have had no joy. There were alternating lights on the bell box, but they have not been flashing.

Basically, I was wondering whether anyone had any idea what the problem might be? Is it likely to be something simple and cheap to rectify? Would it jsut be a control panel problem, or is it likely that other components are effected too?

The complicating factor is that we are in the process of starting some significant building works and will be looking to upgrade the system totally in the next few months. Obviously I'm not keen to go without any protection at the moment and am reluctant to wait until a whole new system would be installed, particularly with the work going on. There will be a fair bit of jigging around with wiring etc during the building work.

What I would like is an opinion on the best way of dealing with this. I don't think it would be feasible to get a part new installation now and have someone complete it when the building work is finished - as I say I think the consumer unit may have to be relocated etc so this would probably become a bit of a hassle. If this panel is dead would the best solution be to buy a cheap replacement until the building work is complete then replace the whole thing? Would a company be likely to look favourably on perhaps 'loaning' a used panel for the interim and then installing the new system when the time came.

Sorry about all the hypotheticals and the long post - I appreciate it might be difficult to give definitive answers without knowing exactly what the fault is. I'd be grateful for everyone's views on what they would possibly do under these circumstances. I was hoping the old girl would last out for a few more months - Sod's Law! Also, does anyone have any recommendations for firms in the Birmingham area?

cheers in advance

Gus

My opinion would be get a professional company in to look at the fault. Money well spent and could save on the cost of a new panel.

Thanks for your reply!

I intend on getting a reputable company to replace the system when the time is right during/after the building works. I would insist on replacing the existing panel as I'm sure it's the same model installed on the Ark! My problem is getting protection between now and when the new system would be installed. My fear is that getting a company out now just to fix the existing system could be a large chunk of the money I would spend on a new updated system in a couple of months. I appreciate that might be the cost of security, but if I can find a way of acheiving protection without an expensive repair which is only going to last a few weeks before ending up in a skip I would prefer to. I could buy a cheap panel and self-install for the few weeks it'll be necessary, but I wondered if a company would be likely to help, maybe with an old panel they would have lying around if they knew that they would then get the business installing and maybe monitoring the new kit. I don't mind spending money, I just don't want to spend it then have to fork out a gain in a few weeks!

I just wondered whether you guys in the trade had any ideas for a workaround, or whether companies are likely to be sympathetic and help with my dilemma.

Thanks again.

Guest Dave the alarm man
but I wondered if a company would be likely to help, maybe with an old panel they would have lying around if they knew that they would then get the business installing and maybe monitoring the new kit.

Far too cynical for that ;) , I

Just thinking about the problem you have and may be fitting say a Gardtec 490x/595, these have 8 on board zones and adding a wireless receiver will give you 8 wireless zones.

Providing you are not going to move the external bell and key pad cable you could use wireless in the renovation(remember you can change the location off PIR's etc when the building work starts), run all your cables to points then change over to wired when all the work is done or keep the wireless equipment.

It may cost but at least you have the panel, bell and key pad up already and the building is secure.

Maybe a company would loan a system but if it was me i would ask you to sign a contract stating i would get the work afterwords for the price i quoted. Not to sure about your insurance though at time of renovation as i presume the panel and detectors would have to meet the standards if you have the system through your insurers.

If you are keeping origional wiring then i would suggest you get a company out and see what they say. There must be something that can be worked out between customer and installer in these circumstances.

Just a thoght.

cheers

!

tbh if i were asked this question i would offer to fit the new panel now (thats if i tested and did find the panel beyond repair and is duff), then price for the later upgrade required with a time limit to hold the price.

seems totally senseless to me for you to pay for a temporary (and possibly unwarranted) panel and the labour to swap it out, then later pay again for what is the same labour job plus the cost of the new panel, thats just nutty duplicity errr! in a nutshell.

me being cynical old me, would be very suspicious of having done you a 'favour', chances are the way your thinking you'd be cheeky enough to then ask for a discount against the temporary panel i had installed, when i removed it for the upgrade - so no chance :rolleyes: .

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived