Security Installer Community

Texecom Premier 24 Diy Install

ASICMan

Guest anguscanplay
If the system is definitely SELV then the following comments found on Wikipedia may clarify (but remember don't trust everything you read on t'internet folks :ninja: )

(And ELV is up to 50V RMS AC or 120V DC)

Note especially the comment re earth separation.

IEC 61140 defines a SELV system as "an electrical system in which the voltage cannot exceed ELV under normal conditions, and under single-fault conditions, including earth faults in other circuits".

A SELV circuit must have:

protective-separation (i.e., double insulation, reinforced insulation, or protective screening) from all circuits other than SELV and PELV (i.e, all circuits that might carry higher voltages)

simple separation from other SELV systems, from PELV systems and from earth (ground).

The safety of a SELV circuit is provided by

the extra-low voltage

the low risk of accidental contact with a higher voltage;

the lack of a return path through earth (ground) that electrical current could take in case of contact with a human body.

The design of a SELV circuit typically involves an isolating transformer, guaranteed minimum distances between conductors, and electrical insulation barriers. The electrical connectors of SELV circuits should be designed such that they do not mate with connectors commonly used for non-SELV circuits.

And to add to that:

IEC 61140 defines a PELV system as "an electrical system in which the voltage cannot exceed ELV under normal conditions, and under single-fault conditions, except earth faults in other circuits".

A PELV circuit only requires protective-separation from all circuits other than SELV and PELV (i.e, all circuits that might carry higher voltages), but it may have connections to other PELV systems and earth (ground).

In contrast to a SELV circuit, a PELV circuit can have a protective earth (ground) connection

------------------------------------------------------

But who says, defines or requires that any particular alarm installation is SELV, PELV or whatever. Obviously the component and overall design have to be appropriate for each category .....

so to sum all that up ............. if you ground the screens to earth rather than 0v you need to issue the relevant mains certs

• 4 months later...
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr you dont have to wire it EOL, why do you think there are auxiliary tamper terminals and the zones can be programmed as normally closed????

Having said that, EOL is better as if you get a tamper it lets you know exactly where from.

Hi there, was going back through old posts for a bit of advice and came across this.

Can I set one zone as normally closed so I don't have to use eol on it or does it have to be all zones, I can't find this setting anywhere? is it in the zone setup menu?

This is so I can do it just on one zone (front door contact) I probably will wire it eol eventually.

Any help appreciated - powered up the alarm for the 1st time today and all seems to be going well so far.

Zone programming, select normally closed instead of double pole/Eol (Premier 24)

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Zone programming, select normally closed instead of double pole/Eol (Premier 24)

thanks for the reply, I knew I should have mentioned, mines a premier 48 - I presume by you mentioning the premier 24 that it can only be done on that one.

Looks like I will have to wire the resistors, is it 2k across A & T with wire going from T to one side of contact and then 4k in between A and other side of contact?

I have read that the resistors should be as close to the contact as possible but then others mention wiring them in the panel?

Just wire it double pole then, one pair for alarm, one pair for tamper. The panel will automatically recognise it.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived