Security Installer Community

House Rewiring?

autoles

My house was rewired 20 years ago, how long will it be before I need to have the wiring replaced again?

Any help would be appreciated.

When the sparkies say so. And note the plural.

There is no generalised answer. It needs it when it needs it. Or, if you are doing major work internally, do it then - just in case.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Thanks for the response barooga but I've had two different electricians come out to give me estimates, one said it didn't need doing and other said it did.

Any other ideas?

20 years? should be fine for a good while yet.

trhe 25 year rule ain't so important when modern cable has been used.

ask the spark who said it needs doing when he can do it, if he says next week you know hes fishing for work and ask the other why he deems it not needed.

Unless you are having some major building work done, I doubt that a rewire would be needed. Mind, after 20 years, the cpc bonding would probably do with upgrading & a new split DB with mcb's wouldn't go amiss... :)

If at first you don't succeed...don't try skydiving!

My house was rewired 20 years ago, how long will it be before I need to have the wiring replaced again?

Any help would be appreciated.

The PVC wiring used 20 years ago should be in fine condition as long as it's not exposed to UV light which can crack it, wear and tear in exposed locations can damage it etc.

If it was correctly installed it simply needs a full inspection (PIR) by a good sparky, as mentioned he may well recomend upgrades to bonding and protective devices which can cause problems at this age but the wiring should be fine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Guest Dave the alarm man
I've had two different electricians come out to give me estimates, one said it didn't need doing and other said it did.

what work are they quoting for ?

I'am guessing the installations been added to ect.....

It all a matter of opinion, the guy doing the least work may be end up dearer once all the extra's have been added

The only spanner in the works here is that the CPC in the 2.5 is ONLY 1.0 mm this does not meet new requirments also there may well be no earths at the lights. A FULL PIR required in my opinion.

No earth conductor in 20 year old cable? You need to go back further then that Woosh! :P

I would think 1987 vintage had 1.5 mm earth conductors as well, even if it is 1.0 mm earth conductors as long as the EFLI is ok there is no problem or do what we all do and recomend RCD protection. To suggest rewiring due to a 1.0mm CPC would need to be looked at very carefully indeed, there are plenty that would use it as an excuse though! (Not you Woosh!)

:)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Archived