Security Installer Community

Accord Xpc Programming Problem

Polybear

some people only discover the true value of their properly installed & maintanced intruder alarm, when their diy work or cheapy job lets them down, as for insurance its never an issue untill you wish to make a claim then the small print of maintence & certification maybe drawn to your full attention.

Garages? firms cars / vans go to a proper garage at the proper times however say if a 6 grand van warrants 2 x

it isnt about the discount its about ensuring the system works i only mentioned that because i imagine someone who needs to save every penny would have understood the distinction - polybear you can spin it however you want but by your own admission you do not know what you are doing so any " test " you perform is of no value and just for a change a DIY alarm engineer ( oxymoron if ever there was ) misses the point re the garages,airbags,brakes etc

jeez i hope you didnt do any work on the plane im taking when i go on holiday

1. I don't "Need to save every penny". I'd rather spend it on something and feel I've had value for money though...

2. "So any test you perform is of no value". So a walk test is a waste of time is it?

3. So when a qualified Alarm Engineer asks a question about a system on this Forum (as I have done) then he/she doesn't know what they are doing? So what's the point in me paying them seventy quid an hour for a service call?

4. I've not missed any point. It's just a shame that a perfectly reasonable forum question has been used by some to try to promote work for the Security industry as a whole. There are times when this would be valid; unfortunately this isn't one of them.

Still, I have some hopes that someone out there will come up with a useful answer for me.

EDIT:Please Do Not Post Comments Such as This which could cause offence Thanks

polybear

Polybear, you can do whatever you like to your alarm, its yours. the advice offered here is obviously not what you are after. i think the problem is when people come to the forum looking for advice, then tell the us they know what they are doing, after all they have a degree in something or other and its just an alarm.

tomorrow night i may still be standing at an alarm after my 10 hour shift looking for a problem, i would welcome the help from almost any trade member of this community. equally i would not welcome a D.I.Y'er telling me its just an alarm, i could do it.

does that make sense?

Polybear, you can do whatever you like to your alarm, its yours. the advice offered here is obviously not what you are after. i think the problem is when people come to the forum looking for advice, then tell the us they know what they are doing, after all they have a degree in something or other and its just an alarm.

tomorrow night i may still be standing at an alarm after my 10 hour shift looking for a problem, i would welcome the help from almost any trade member of this community. equally i would not welcome a D.I.Y'er telling me its just an alarm, i could do it.

does that make sense?

Hi,

I've come to the forum looking for straightforward advice. Compared to many (most?) on here I'm a newbie but do feel that the nature of my "day-job" plus a previous alarm system installation (sure - all of one) does give me a head-start on many DIY'ers.

I have'nt got a degree - it's an HNC. Seen too many degree engineers who have'nt a clue what a soldering iron does.....

I have'nt (and wouldn't) say "it's just an alarm". Cos' I know they can range from a ten quid shed alarm to something protecting the crown jewels. It's pretty disappointing though that others can cast judgement based on the nature of the questions asked.

From continued internet research I've at least been able to answer some of my initial questions, i.e:

1. The internal battery also has to be disconnected, prior to removal of ac power. P**s the neighbours off with the tamper alarm.

2. Programming is held in NVM.

3. The keypad buttons have to be held in? Pretty sure this isn't the case.

The uncertainty at the moment is still the Keyfob reader on the system, i.e:

4. Presumably the Fobs are programmed to the current Master User Code, so will stop working when the system is reset to factory settings? I plan to restore

the current Master User code - hopefully the Fobs will be restored again without further action. Can anyone confirm this is the case please?

Also, the system was //.Large National Installer.// (beginning with the first letter of the alphabet - three letters) . Do they routinely invoke anything during programming (or maybe custom-built systems to their own spec.) that prevents reversion to factory settings?

Thanks.

polybear

Guest anguscanplay

does that make sense?

i think your the second nicest person on this forum lol

Hi,

From continued internet research I've at least been able to answer some of my initial questions, i.e:

1. The internal battery also has to be disconnected, prior to removal of ac power. P**s the neighbours off with the tamper alarm.

2. Programming is held in NVM.

3. The keypad buttons have to be held in? Pretty sure this isn't the case.

Also, the system was //.Large National Installer.// (beginning with the first letter of the alphabet - three letters) . Do they routinely invoke anything during programming (or maybe custom-built systems to their own spec.) that prevents reversion to factory settings?

Thanks.

polybear

HNC - surely its bloody obvious the "back up battery" would need disconecting if you were trying to power down the panel and it would sound outside, at that stage your attacking the panel like an intruder would

sorry cant you see your doing it again just there - you admit to having no knowledge of this panel but then you say what you have been told is incorrect, how ?

and although most installers wont admit to doing it many panels have a facility to " lock " the engineer code so as to prevent end users from changing engineer programmes

Guest G.J.M
1. I don't "Need to save every penny". I'd rather spend it on something and feel I've had value for money though...

2. "So any test you perform is of no value". So a walk test is a waste of time is it?

3. So when a qualified Alarm Engineer asks a question about a system on this Forum (as I have done) then he/she doesn't know what they are doing? So what's the point in me paying them seventy quid an hour for a service call?

4. I've not missed any point. It's just a shame that a perfectly reasonable forum question has been used by some to try to promote work for the Security industry as a whole. There are times when this would be valid; unfortunately this isn't one of them.

Still, I have some hopes that someone out there will come up with a useful answer for me.

EDIT : Please Do Not Post Comments such as this that could cause offence Thanks!

polybear

Polybear

I don't appreciate your comments on shooting down planes.

Unfunny

Guest anguscanplay

EDIT : Please Do Not Post Comments Such as this that could cause offence Thanks!

polybear

1 you probably never get value for money - you dont understand value

2 customer performed walk test isnt a walk test - its a buzzer sounds test - you know the exact coverage pattern of your sensor ?

3 a qualified alarm engineer would never ask the questions you are asking and if he did he would get the same treatment - maybe worst

4 asking how to reboot an alarm sysytem isnt a perfectly reasonable question - your asking security profesionals to tell you how to defeat a security device

if you wanted to know why your pir " chimes " after you cleaned the keypad , or why the guy fitting your new doors and windows wont refit the 20mm quick fit - they are reasonable questions to ask.Tell you what the next person who asks how to disable Polybears alarm i`ll tell him if you want

angus

HNC - surely its bloody obvious the "back up battery" would need disconecting if you were trying to power down the panel and it would sound outside, at that stage your attacking the panel like an intruder would

sorry cant you see your doing it again just there - you admit to having no knowledge of this panel but then you say what you have been told is incorrect, how ?

and although most installers wont admit to doing it many panels have a facility to " lock " the engineer code so as to prevent end users from changing engineer programmes

1. Blimey - an answer to one of my original questions at last!! Only took 24 posts... And as for obvious - well experience has tought me that with software nothing is ever obvious. That's why I was seeking confirmation in the first place.

2. What I said was "PRETTY SURE". Based on what I've found on other Security Alarm forums for similar procedures on Ademco Panels. But not betting my pension on it just yet cos' they were U.S. sites for models other than the Xpc. They (as far as I'm aware) don't use the Accord in the States, unless they call it something else.

polybear

Guest anguscanplay
1. Blimey - an answer to one of my original questions at last!! Only took 24 posts... And as for obvious - well experience has tought me that with software nothing is ever obvious. That's why I was seeking confirmation in the first place.

2. What I said was "PRETTY SURE". Based on what I've found on other Security Alarm forums for similar procedures on Ademco Panels. But not betting my pension on it just yet cos' they were U.S. sites for models other than the Xpc. They (as far as I'm aware) don't use the Accord in the States, unless they call it something else.

polybear

i was waiting for my six year old to read the question ( it really is that obviouse ) then after been ignored for a few days you googled your way to the honeywell site but the job you want to do is a non started - either junk it or get an engineer in

1 you probably never get value for money - you dont understand value

2 customer performed walk test isnt a walk test - its a buzzer sounds test - you know the exact coverage pattern of your sensor ?

3 a qualified alarm engineer would never ask the questions you are asking and if he did he would get the same treatment - maybe worst

4 asking how to reboot an alarm sysytem isnt a perfectly reasonable question - your asking security profesionals to tell you how to defeat a security device

if you wanted to know why your pir " chimes " after you cleaned the keypad , or why the guy fitting your new doors and windows wont refit the 20mm quick fit - they are reasonable questions to ask.Tell you what the next person who asks how to disable Polybears alarm i`ll tell him if you want

angus

1. I often get value for money. And I know when something isn't value for money too - the aforementioned large national installer reputedly quotes 120 quid +vat to do this procedure.

2. I don't know the sensor coverage pattern on this (the OH's) system, but I do on my own.

3. Which is why I was deliberately vague when asking the original questions, by not including certain details of the procedure. Though (and assuming the system was installed correctly in the first place) the panel should be in a protected zone and therefore should'nt be easily accessible without setting the alarm off anyway. And the reboot procedure will cause a Tamper Alarm also. So are'nt all bases covered?

4. Warning to Burglars: Guard Dog. Burgular Alarm. Observant Neighbours.

polybear

Archived