Security Installer Community

Accord Xpc Programming Problem

Polybear

Guest anguscanplay
Hi,

Electronics Engineer in the aerospace industry. .

polybear

good job by the sounds of it , well paid and respected - so is mine

this isnt a diy panel - why not change it to one someone with your level of competance can handle

good job by the sounds of it , well paid and respected - so is mine

this isnt a diy panel - why not change it to one someone with your level of competance can handle

Good Job? Used to be - out & about, working on serious hardware etc. Now all they want are documents written that no-one wants to read, or probably ever will....

But to remove the old panel without the Alarm going off (and waking the DSS scrounger next door) would need an Engineer Code. Which I'm trying to reset.....

I've deliberately avoided giving out too much info on an open Forum for obvious reasons (though the Installation Manual is openly available for free on the Internet anyway). What I'm hoping to do is to clarify the procedure as per my original posting (e.g does the internal battery need disconnecting also) and also to understand any possible implications (e.g. is the overall panel programming stored in a non-volatile memory, and also the effect on the Fob reader).

If it all goes pear-shaped then there's always plan 2........

Hopefully someone out there can help me out, via a PM if preferred.

Thanks.

polybear

Guest anguscanplay
But to remove the old panel without the Alarm going off (and waking the DSS scrounger next door) would need an Engineer Code. Which I'm trying to reset.....

If it all goes pear-shaped then there's always plan 2........

Hopefully someone out there can help me out, via a PM if preferred.

Thanks.

polybear

if its working right its going to be sounding whilst your doing the reboot anyway but some of your questions are so " basic " its obvious to me youre going to struggle ( actually quite rightly imo ) to do anything with a proffesional panel

save yourself the grief and if you have to do the job DIY for some obscure reason go straight to step 2

save yourself the grief and if you have to do the job DIY for some obscure reason go straight to step 2

A couple of weeks ago the internal alarm went off whilst we were at home and the panel was unset, with a battery symbol on the keypad. Initial thoughts were a battery problem, quickly changed to a mains supply failure to the panel (blown fuse). Doesn't phase me at all, but the OH gets all worked up & worried.

Had it been the battery then a quick visit to Maplin for a replacement (after first checking the charging circuit in the panel) would've been a few quid, fitted using the Engineer Code to disable the tamper so's the OH doesn't get wound up again.

An Engineer call-out to do the same job? Let me guess - wrong side of fifty quid plus the price of a battery? That's the obscure reason.

polybear

A couple of weeks ago the internal alarm went off whilst we were at home and the panel was unset, with a battery symbol on the keypad. Initial thoughts were a battery problem, quickly changed to a mains supply failure to the panel (blown fuse). Doesn't phase me at all, but the OH gets all worked up & worried.

Had it been the battery then a quick visit to Maplin for a replacement (after first checking the charging circuit in the panel) would've been a few quid, fitted using the Engineer Code to disable the tamper so's the OH doesn't get wound up again.

An Engineer call-out to do the same job? Let me guess - wrong side of fifty quid plus the price of a battery? That's the obscure reason.

polybear

Ah but had you got an engineer in it would have been working now.

Electronics Engineer in the aerospace industry

I have a manual for Airbus A330, but would you wouldn't let me work on one :no: Sometimes expierience in a particular field is more of value , than a general qualification.

Ah but had you got an engineer in it would have been working now.

I have a manual for Airbus A330, but would you wouldn't let me work on one :no: Sometimes expierience in a particular field is more of value , than a general qualification.

It is working now - the fault was diagnosed and fixed in about ten minutes. It's always worked too. The whole point is that for straightforward repairs (e.g. replacement batteries), testing, maintenance etc. the use of an Engineer Code makes life a lot easier and keeps the neighbours sweet.

I'm sure there are several Alarm Engineers out there with Haynes workshop manuals for car repairs. Or do they all accept the view that cars can only be maintained by garages with trained mechanics? If you wanted to do an oil change and wanted to know the torque setting for the sump plug, only to be told that "you should really leave that to the experts sir".....

I enjoy maintaining & fixing things, as I'm sure you guys do too. It also helps keep the bills down. It doesn't always work out, in which case an Alarm Engineer will charge me extra for sorting it all out. That's the chance you take - win some, lose some!!

polybear

Guest anguscanplay

polybear

I enjoy maintaining & fixing things, as I'm sure you guys do too. It also helps keep the bills down. It doesn't always work out, in which case an Alarm Engineer will charge me extra for sorting it all out. That's the chance you take - win some, lose some!!

polybear

oh please get real - i enjoy maintaining and repairing alarm systems too the difference is when i have played with your SECURITY I guarentee its all working and can insure you against failure to activate therefore bringing down your insurance premium and saving the "OH " from getting all worked up when you come home to find you`d proggramed a sensor off by mistake, yep my cars are serviced by an approved garage as per the manf recommendations, would i let a neighbour do it - well the brakes are there for the safety of my wife and children, would your neighbour let you " mend " his alarm - probably because as you say theres nothing to it is there - until you get some thing wrong

oh please get real - i enjoy maintaining and repairing alarm systems too the difference is when i have played with your SECURITY I guarentee its all working and can insure you against failure to activate therefore bringing down your insurance premium and saving the "OH " from getting all worked up when you come home to find you`d proggramed a sensor off by mistake, yep my cars are serviced by an approved garage as per the manf recommendations, would i let a neighbour do it - well the brakes are there for the safety of my wife and children, would your neighbour let you " mend " his alarm - probably because as you say theres nothing to it is there - until you get some thing wrong

The costs of annual alarm maintenance by an engineer far outweigh any house insurance premium discount.

And when I've "played" with my security I always do a walk test etc. for all modes (day, night, etc.) to ensure the alarm is working correctly.

ps Good luck with the "approved garage" servicing - you'll be surprised at what goes on (or doesn't - even though they said it has and put it on the bill) behind closed doors.....

polybear

Guest Dave the alarm man
The costs of annual alarm maintenance by an engineer far outweigh any house insurance premium discount.

some people only discover the true value of their properly installed & maintanced intruder alarm, when their diy work or cheapy job lets them down, as for insurance its never an issue untill you wish to make a claim then the small print of maintence & certification maybe drawn to your full attention.

Garages? firms cars / vans go to a proper garage at the proper times however say if a 6 grand van warrants 2 x

Guest anguscanplay

And when I've "played" with my security I always do a walk test etc. for all modes (day, night, etc.) to ensure the alarm is working correctly.

ps Good luck with the "approved garage" servicing - you'll be surprised at what goes on (or doesn't - even though they said it has and put it on the bill) behind closed doors.....

polybear

it isnt about the discount its about ensuring the system works i only mentioned that because i imagine someone who needs to save every penny would have understood the distinction - polybear you can spin it however you want but by your own admission you do not know what you are doing so any " test " you perform is of no value and just for a change a DIY alarm engineer ( oxymoron if ever there was ) misses the point re the garages,airbags,brakes etc

jeez i hope you didnt do any work on the plane im taking when i go on holiday

Archived