Security Installer Community

Wireless System - This Old Topic Yet Again

Hello all,

This is my first posting and would like to point out that I am not a security installer or associated in any way with the industry. I am in fact a 60-year-old Senior Design Engineer in the Aerospace industry, so I do have some knowledge of electronics, electronic systems, materials etc. Having reviewed with interest many of the posting and replies, which are a little old now and as technology has undoubtedly moved on, I thought that I would ask you knowledgeable members the same question yet again, .

My question is.

At this time (June 2007) are all the wireless systems available on the market considered to be inferior to a wired system, if so WHY?

I have a wired system, which I would like to replace as its some 10 years old and would like to consider a wireless system. I am not unduly concerned about the cost and would have it professionally fitted. So is there any system on the market (GSM panel) suitable for a domestic five-bed house, which could be recommended?

Thanks for you interest,

Garry

Guest anguscanplay

weve just started using radio after 30 years of hard wiring as the new stuff if specced right seems rather good ie indicates whever batteries low,signal lost,jammed etc and can send warnins via the dialler, testing needs to be done first but with the readings for obackground noise etc its quite easy imo

however its radio so it can be hacked if someone had the equipment - very unlikely in my opinion ,it doesnt send signal every time it detects so if you walked through the house to get out youve no alarm for x number of minutes,radio battery fobs will get lost often etc

quite like the risco equipment

angus

i have said this before. i use risco cpx panel. it allows 50% wired and 50% wireless if you require. it is a good modern panel. it means you do not have to put all your eggs in one basket. you can put wired in where it is easy to get to and then use radio for those less accessible places and also gives you the benefit of the key fobe , to switch it on and off. there will be others that do the same, but i know the rep from gardtec well, and can ring him up on a sunday night if i have any problems or any other time for that matter, and he is very helpful.

good luck with your search.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Guest anguscanplay
i have said this before. i use risco cpx panel. it allows 50% wired and 50% wireless if you require. it is a good modern panel. it means you do not have to put all your eggs in one basket. you can put wired in where it is easy to get to and then use radio for those less accessible places and also gives you the benefit of the key fobe , to switch it on and off. there will be others that do the same, but i know the rep from gardtec well, and can ring him up on a sunday night if i have any problems or any other time for that matter, and he is very helpful.

good luck with your search.

i used one last week - nightmare getting to roofspace for external sounder cable( laminated floors , cavity insulation , no airing cupboard list goes on ) but VIP customer,needed to be the best job ever - by the time i had the cable in i would have been stuffed but for the fact the rest was radio - job done and home early - result

i used one last week - nightmare getting to roofspace for external sounder cable( laminated floors , cavity insulation , no airing cupboard list goes on ) but VIP customer,needed to be the best job ever - by the time i had the cable in i would have been stuffed but for the fact the rest was radio - job done and home early - result

its nice gear, i prefer to use the 490x set, same thing just like the rkp and metal cp.

what the wrongs with wireless?

i use it to good effect where say laminated floors have prevented hidden cabling, but will always cable as the first option.

my view is if you go cabled you have the option of simply thousands of detectors to choose from, so should the users security requirements change you can adapt far more easily. go radio you are restricted to what the maker offers of fit a universal transmitter and psu then fit a suitable detector.

if faults occur you can measure a cable, but with RFi you could be mislead for months.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived