Security Installer Community

Respect

peter7

I'm here again to respond to some of my critics on follow ups to my 1st e-mail to this site.

I have the greatest respect for the professional manner in which answers were given particularly by the likes of

ARFUR MO GOONER31 CHORLTON --- and others

What got me rattled was the response from Dave the alarm m....

QUOTE(Dave the alarm man @ May 29 2007, 02:38 PM)

I can't reset the air bag light on my car..................

user changes it to several minutes house get emptied before the alarm goes off whoops

might work on press * select zones required press *

QUOTE(peter7 @ May 29 2007, 03:20 PM)

Whats' with the ''AIR BAG LIGHT''? ....... It was an honest sensible question Re: Exit / Entry time re-setting !!!!!!!

QUOTE(Dave the alarm man @ May 29 2007, 03:34 PM)

I assume you did not like the honest sesible answer?

So get hold of the programming instructions & default to your requirements

I still haven't worked out where the 'Air Bag Light' came in, but do see the point of the burglary bit.

Just for the record..... I am an honest and trustworthy home owner ( 37 years ) who has been employed full time since leaving high school, never claiming benefit from the Government in any way shape or form. For this I don't want praise or plaudits all I wanted was help with a problem ( which according to poll votes = 70% in favour ) I couldn't resolve without the Engineers Manual or contacting the installer or A.N.Other.

This is posted as a new item as the original was LOCKED as some one requested it be done and it was obvious I was not going to get a solution to my problem without having to pay for something that I believe is the alarm owners right.

I will check this out with one of my colleagues in the Trading Standards Office ( YES .. I work for Local Government )

Guys im going to ask dave to look over this and decide where it should be placed as dont think it shoud be in public user manuals

:closed:

All comments in this post are my own views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer

Hi Peter

I'm not defending anyones posts, point of view or otherwise but can hopefully shed some unbias light on this.

I DO NOT work in the security alarm industry, (I work with fire alarms emergency lights and fire extinguishers)

I believe Dave was making the analargy that you believe you should have full details on how to service, fault find and repair your alarm via the engineeer program options even if your untrained access "could" have an adverse affect on the systems capability to protect your property.

Your car manufacturer does not provide and will not provide the same info to allow you to service, fault find and repair it again because it "could" have an adverse affect on the vehicles safety, reliability and performance.

The same comparison could be made for nearly every electical, electronic or mechanical device on sale.

If you are provided details by the manufacturer to carry out a task the provider of said details "could" still be liable for any accident or loss from the incorrect following of thoses details if it was later found to be unreasonable to expect them to be followed correctly without the added benefit of competant training or such like.

On the second point of trustworthness, this is the internet no one can be trusted to be who or what they claim to be and therfor caution must be exercised until you know they aint an axe murderer. It's not personal but can you imagine how many people come on here asking things, don't like the answer so get all shirty, some on here have had a skin full and may be better to ignore threads than reply. Maybe after this post I could be pointed at as one of them :whistle: What this all about then exactly?

But rest assured not everyone things your an axe murderer :fear:

Chorlton.

:)

Hi Peter

I'm not defending anyones posts, point of view or otherwise but can hopefully shed some unbias light on this.

I DO NOT work in the security alarm industry, (I work with fire alarms emergency lights and fire extinguishers)

I believe Dave was making the analargy that you believe you should have full details on how to service, fault find and repair your alarm via the engineeer program options even if your untrained access "could" have an adverse affect on the systems capability to protect your property.

Your car manufacturer does not provide and will not provide the same info to allow you to service, fault find and repair it again because it "could" have an adverse affect on the vehicles safety, reliability and performance.

The same comparison could be made for nearly every electical, electronic or mechanical device on sale.

If you are provided details by the manufacturer to carry out a task the provider of said details "could" still be liable for any accident or loss from the incorrect following of thoses details if it was later found to be unreasonable to expect them to be followed correctly without the added benefit of competant training or such like.

On the second point of trustworthness, this is the internet no one can be trusted to be who or what they claim to be and therfor caution must be exercised until you know they aint an axe murderer. It's not personal but can you imagine how many people come on here asking things, don't like the answer so get all shirty, some on here have had a skin full and may be better to ignore threads than reply. Maybe after this post I could be pointed at as one of them :whistle: What this all about then exactly?

But rest assured not everyone things your an axe murderer :fear:

Chorlton.

One again thank you for your view, I do respect it. However, and without dragging this issue on and detracting from the initial post question, As some one stated in another post, Halfords sell at a reasonable price 'Haynes Car Manuals' for almost all makes of cars in order that owners can service, repair and maintain their vehicle without paying vast amounts of money to a garage for non major works / jobs. New cars still under warranty etc must go back to the garage.

Why can't the same apply for Alarms????

One again thank you for your view, I do respect it. However, and without dragging this issue on and detracting from the initial post question, As some one stated in another post, Halfords sell at a reasonable price 'Haynes Car Manuals' for almost all makes of cars in order that owners can service, repair and maintain their vehicle without paying vast amounts of money to a garage for non major works / jobs. New cars still under warranty etc must go back to the garage.

Hi Peter.

Thanks for the compliment. :)

A Haynes manual does not allow you to communicate with the car in the same way the garage does through the ECU etc.

Try finding what the fault code on a modern German car is and reset it with a Haynes.

You can service your new car anywhere and retain the warranty (even do it yourself) as long as you can prove you used manufacturers approved parts and procedure. It was deemed unfair practice a few years ago by Brussells I believe see - http://www.shouldpay.co.uk/car-servicing-tips.php

What do you really think or want done exactly in your particular situation?

Apart from an apology from those you feel dissed you, which ain't likely by the way.

C.

Haynes manuals are not issued by the manufacturer, neither do they go into detail on the inner workings of the control systems.

You say they help you save money by not having to go to the garage. With that in mind, do you ever go to the garage and ask the guys how to do a job so that you can save money by not getting them to do it?? In reality that is what you are asking here.

The main concern though is the rules simply do not allow engineering details to be passed out. This is for security reasons. Even some trade members are restricted from this information.

A

Guest Dave the alarm man
problem without having to pay for something that I believe is the alarm owners right.

Great have a word about my airbag light whilst your there :P

Also I've had to drill a small hole in the boot floor as the spare wheel well has flooded wetting the rear fuse board & rear control module which fortunally I dried out on electric radiator, now If I'd had know the manufacture or supplying dealer has a lifetime responsibility to work for me for nothing maybe, oh hang on I don't live in your world do I?

Guest Cerberus NI

As stated,Haynes manuals are of less value with the newer cars bar mechanical repairs (I drive a 2005 Astra Sri and the ECU controls everything!).

Not to be flippant but Haynes also sell a manual for the human body - I hope this doesn't encourage anyone to try cardiovascular surgery!

Guest anguscanplay
I will check this out with one of my colleagues in the Trading Standards Office ( YES .. I work for Local Government )

good in that case they should point out to you that goods or services even when no monetory value is attatched come under the relevant statutary regulations therefore if anyone had told you how to alter the e/e times ( which are engineer access only settings ) then they would have been liable for any further problems

your question may have been better phrased as " ive been told/how can i ................" rather than " why is it ................"

if you want to take over the responsibility for your security system functioning then feel free you dont need an engineer just reboot it and your away - if your next question is how then im afraid you needed the engineer all along -.As you were told in the locked thread things like entry times are only changable by an engineer due to the reasons you were given

now you knew all that before your first post and tbf if your really after the argument that i think you were originally and i think more so by your repeated post then youve come to the right place,we can spend all week arguing amongst ourselves so a topic where we cant be wrong is a nice change

angus

now you knew all that before your first post and tbf if your really after the argument that i think you were originally and i think more so by your repeated post then youve come to the right place,we can spend all week arguing amongst ourselves so a topic where we cant be wrong is a nice change

angus

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Archived