Security Installer Community

Can Anyone Recommend A Suitable System

I am nearing the start of construction of an 11 apartment detached 2.5 storey selfbuild house, ideally I would like to install an Intruder(PIR based)+Fire/Smoke/Carbon M+ External CCTV system from one manufacturer/supplier, and in an ideal world be able to install it myself (if this is not possible I would appoint a contractor). Any recomendations of a suitable system, you could offer would be appreciated.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Martin Hannah

I would've thought Honeywell Galaxy for the intruder & Honeywell DVR for the CCTV...all made by the same manufacturer but not really for DIY. Both are reliable & relatively straightforward for the end user... :)

If at first you don't succeed...don't try skydiving!

Hi Martin,

Welcome to our community

I'd certainly suggest talking to an approved installer in your area, their experience may be able to save you some cash as well as alot of heart ache!

It may be worth asking an experienced installer to design the system for you, it may cost you a few quid, but they know the rules and regs.

I'd suggest talking to your building control dept as they will help you with the requirements for bulding regs, particluarly regarding the fire detection system.

Your insurance company and your electrician should also be consulted.

The cost of a completely integrated system may be prohibitive, however with a little thought and planning you should be able to install systems that will complement each other.

The absolute golden rule, and I am sure that all installers here will agree, is to make sure you get the right cables in the right places!

This is not just true of the Intruder, cctv and fire, but also for telephones, network, tv/sky and the access control system you might consider isntalling for the main entrance.

The site may well be quite a complicated system, and what you may end up doing in the future MUST be considered now! (and be cabled for)

First impressions indicate that as you are attempting such a large self-build, you are likely to be capable of managing the project.

Most reasonable installers will be able to help you out on a consultancy, supply and commission basis, allowing you to install the cabling and some of the easier stuff yourself, therefore saving on a huge chunk of labour!

I would get the installer to check it all before you plaster as mistakes or damaged cables can be a nightmare to sort out afterwards!

I am an installer/system designer and am about to finish our new build house in the next 6-8 weeks.

There are many systems available and each installer will have a view as to their favourite...

The galaxy may well lend itself to being a good choice as it has very powerful software and basic door (access) control built in.

The resistors used are easier for a competent person to remember as there is only 1 choice on a grade 2 system (1k,1k) and 2 choices on a grade 3 system (1k,1k and 12k)

The Texecom exodus range of smoke detectors are also a good choice (assuming that you don't need a proper fire detection system)

For PIR /dualtech detectors I would chose either the Pyronix KX series or the texecom prestige range as with both you can change the "guts" to suit the environment and still retain the same outer case and thus looks.

I'm not sure how much integration you would want/need between the intuder, fire and cctv, so you may choose something different here.

I strongly suggest taking your installers advice and buying product that is readily available in the UK.

Perhaps if you post your nearest town you would be able to have contact with one of the many highly experienced and competent professional installers in this community.

Finally I wish you good luck in your project..

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

Hi Martin,

Welcome to our community

I'd certainly suggest talking to an approved installer in your area, their experience may be able to save you some cash as well as alot of heart ache!

It may be worth asking an experienced installer to design the system for you, it may cost you a few quid, but they know the rules and regs.

I'd suggest talking to your building control dept as they will help you with the requirements for bulding regs, particluarly regarding the fire detection system.

Your insurance company and your electrician should also be consulted.

The cost of a completely integrated system may be prohibitive, however with a little thought and planning you should be able to install systems that will complement each other.

The absolute golden rule, and I am sure that all installers here will agree, is to make sure you get the right cables in the right places!

This is not just true of the Intruder, cctv and fire, but also for telephones, network, tv/sky and the access control system you might consider isntalling for the main entrance.

The site may well be quite a complicated system, and what you may end up doing in the future MUST be considered now! (and be cabled for)

First impressions indicate that as you are attempting such a large self-build, you are likely to be capable of managing the project.

Most reasonable installers will be able to help you out on a consultancy, supply and commission basis, allowing you to install the cabling and some of the easier stuff yourself, therefore saving on a huge chunk of labour!

I would get the installer to check it all before you plaster as mistakes or damaged cables can be a nightmare to sort out afterwards!

I am an installer/system designer and am about to finish our new build house in the next 6-8 weeks.

There are many systems available and each installer will have a view as to their favourite...

The galaxy may well lend itself to being a good choice as it has very powerful software and basic door (access) control built in.

The resistors used are easier for a competent person to remember as there is only 1 choice on a grade 2 system (1k,1k) and 2 choices on a grade 3 system (1k,1k and 12k)

The Texecom exodus range of smoke detectors are also a good choice (assuming that you don't need a proper fire detection system)

For PIR /dualtech detectors I would chose either the Pyronix KX series or the texecom prestige range as with both you can change the "guts" to suit the environment and still retain the same outer case and thus looks.

I'm not sure how much integration you would want/need between the intuder, fire and cctv, so you may choose something different here.

I strongly suggest taking your installers advice and buying product that is readily available in the UK.

Perhaps if you post your nearest town you would be able to have contact with one of the many highly experienced and competent professional installers in this community.

Finally I wish you good luck in your project..

Some seriously good advice there :punk:. I suggest you listen to that, easy to do now - not so easy when the building is built.

cheers

Dave

Guest Sparky169
Some seriously good advice there :punk:. I suggest you listen to that, easy to do now - not so easy when the building is built.

cheers

Dave

thats funny i thought you read it not listened to it on here. is it a sound activated thing or summut? :hmm:

:lol:

cheers

personally i would go for the Scantronic systems, as we fine them must easier to use then than he galaxy ones but i guess its down to personal preferance.

cant rember what model the largest one but its something to have a look at.

Regards M.D

Archived