Security Installer Community

Sound Driver

Wooly-bobs

I swapped my hard drive on my pc a while ago, all ok working win xp pro but no sound.

Now i don't have the driver disc for the mother board, tried the web for the right driver before you ask.

I have the old HDD in an external HDD case on a usb so i can still get at some of my old documents and files if ness.

Where on the old disc is the sound driver and what is it likely to be called?

I swapped my hard drive on my pc a while ago, all ok working win xp pro but no sound.

Now i don't have the driver disc for the mother board, tried the web for the right driver before you ask.

I have the old HDD in an external HDD case on a usb so i can still get at some of my old documents and files if ness.

Where on the old disc is the sound driver and what is it likely to be called?

It may not be there in an installable form at all.

What sort of PC/motherboard is it? I've never been defeated in finding such drivers before, but it's not always easy.

ASUS i think, it was the cheaper option of the motherboards availible i remember.

Well Asus usually have good driver availability. You'll need the exact model though - should be printed on the board somewhere, can you find it?

What does Windows System Information think your system is?

Also the Crucial System Scanner at www.crucial.com/uk may also give you a clue as the the motherboard model.

worth a go if its not too much of a pia, boot off the old drive, go to device manager, hardware, sound Video & game controllers, onto your sound card, look in the driver properties for the device and path. navigate to the files and copy to a memory stick.

restart on your new drive, control panel, install new hardware, don't accept search click 'have disk' and navigate to the files.

not guaranteed but has worked several time for me on various kit, tend to find sound drivers in i would copy all files in the directory C:\windows\system32\drivers\ as there may be some obsucre drivers you missed. at least you might have the right name for the driver.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived