Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9651 & 9930 Keypad

KevD

Guest anguscanplay
:no: trust me on this - just trust me :yes: i add some simple words - 'earth leakage'.

on Chvbbs you are tought to fit and test the panel 1st, then do an 'installation and an insulation' test virtually on pain of death - has proved to be damn good teaching over the years.

regs

alan

stop adding words after you old curmudtion

we have an ex chubb contractor does this - fits panel first - always wonder what happens when you cant get the cables to that position

makes me laugh every time i watch him struggle to fish the cables

any power shorts on this particular fault the system wouldnt be lighting up as the thyristor would open

stop adding words after you old curmudtion

we have an ex chubb contractor does this - fits panel first - always wonder what happens when you cant get the cables to that position

makes me laugh every time i watch him struggle to fish the cables

any power shorts on this particular fault the system wouldnt be lighting up as the thyristor would open

trust me it is very good practice, as nothing more frustrating than finding out your panel is duff when your ready to go home, if you don't have a spare the client don't have a system. test it first you can arrange for a replacement to be dropped in.

you also know for sure if you panel works, any problem is from outside the panel. but then you would have done your installation and inslation tests before connecting, as a panel is a very bad alternative to a meter.

you know it makes sense 'wrodney' :yes:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
trust me it is very good practice, as nothing more frustrating than finding out your panel is duff when your ready to go home, if you don't have a spare the client don't have a system. test it first you can arrange for a replacement to be dropped in.

you also know for sure if you panel works, any problem is from outside the panel. but then you would have done your installation and inslation tests before connecting, as a panel is a very bad alternative to a meter.

you know it makes sense 'wrodney' :yes:

regs

alan

yes i agree but the first thing this guy does on an install is screw the panel to the wall then work out how to wire it up - first thing i do is look where im going to get a mains supply from then wire to there

back onto the fault the o/p is setting the system up on battery as i say earth leakage faults wont be the problem - theres no mains in the equation

yes i agree but the first thing this guy does on an install is screw the panel to the wall then work out how to wire it up - first thing i do is look where im going to get a mains supply from then wire to there

back onto the fault the o/p is setting the system up on battery as i say earth leakage faults wont be the problem - theres no mains in the equation

this is likely to turn into an 'Afurs Master Class'.

while i agree it would be rare for mains to appear on low voltage wiring, even with the panel connected to it due to modern mcb's.

the 'earths' i'm talking about (and you Dad will know this) are from when a cable is damaged, say pierced by a nail or crushed in to small a hole throgh a wall, possibly compunded by dampness in the brickwork. this causes a high ressistance connection (commonly called an 'earth' by old school engineers) to another cable or across cores.

common sites for such problems are door contacts, especially those at the foot of external doors and roller shutter contacts laying in puddles during care washing or rain, damp ingress can cause a partial (h/r) short at that contact between cores, or via the moisture, between different contacts which also have moisture ingress, and on different circuits. should there be a staple through one data core of the keypad cable, then this may affect the control panel operation.

right, now we all know that wonderful bit of true tradesman skills and why, hands up all those of you who as a matter of course test on volts range between + & - 12 volts rail and a good earth on every installation, on every fault call and every maintenance? a reading indicates there is a possible 'earth' i.e. an insulation leakage which can cause false alarms.

those who knew this and do, then i award 10 points and a gold star and a sniff of my rusty tin of Ovaltine, those who don't then your trade membership is terminated forthwith and shame on you.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

its probably the clock and data around the wrong way.

yes have had this where the clock and data are the wrong way around or even one of the cables is broke gone open circuit?

thanks, everyone for your replies/posts to this issue.

With hindsight, i should have just got someone in to fit the blinking thing in the first place - someone that knew what they were doing - "you live and learn"

I'll go over all of the points mentioned in the hope that i can get to the bottom of the problem - i noticed that a new panel and keypad is only around

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(buddyboy @ May 1 2007, 10:51 PM)

its probably the clock and data around the wrong way.

unlikely as he says he has text display ,

regs

alan

topics finished i know , but, if the clock and data is around the wrong way it still has text display on a 96/9751

Trade Intruder

Archived