Security Installer Community

Help On Pat

mr silcox

What is it you are desperate to prove?

I have a copy but not a pdf so if you make your point I can refere to it to see if your point is valid.

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

does anyone have a pdf copy of this

The Code of Practice for In-Service Inspection and Testing

or any guide

a bit deprate to prove a point..

Acording to the BSI database it only comes in hard copy. Probably is pdf about somewhere but may be rare.

i need to know what procedures should be followed if an item fails

should the plug be cut off????

help!!!

That can be construed as malicious damage. You are to disable it and identify it as as unsafe.

Some nutmeg once went to Barclays bank main office in Leeds over a weekend to do the testing.

All hell to pay come monday morning - they'd just taken delivery of a load of brand new office equipment, all still in their wrapping. He tested it, failed it, cut the plugs off AND disposed of them. All failed due to no earth readings.

Yep, you guessed it, all class 2.

And yes, serious compo was claimed.

i need to know what procedures should be followed if an item fails

should the plug be cut off????

help!!!

I always remove the fuse and fix a warning sticker saying something like "WARNING DO NOT USE!" which were in stock in the wholesalers. I used to stick one on the front of the plug, one over the fuse carrier and sometimes wrap one round the plug pins. I never cut flex off or plugtops unless the customer agreed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

" If equipement is found to be damaged or faulty on inspection or test, an assessment must be made by a responsible person as to the suitability of the equipment for the use in that paticular location. Equipment found to be unsafe must be immediately removed from use."

A system is recommended so that a history of an item can be monitored over it's life and logged according to the findings of the testing and inspecting. As stated in the quote above, an unsafe item must be removed from service. Depending on the findings of the responsible person it may either be repaired and retested if it then passes it can be returned to service with a nice new label saying it has passed the electrical safety test together with the date of test, the initials of the tester, it's appliance number and the date it should be retested by. If it fails and is not repaired it should be labelled as such ie Fail electrical safety check DANGER DO NOT USE and again date of test initials of tester and appliance number.

Although it is not necessary to cut a plug top off, it may be a wise precaution to take in view of all the muppets on the plannet.

best wishes

Vince

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Although it is not necessary to cut a plug top off, it may be a wise precaution to take in view of all the muppets on the plannet.

best wishes

Vince

And nothing at all to stop the muppets putting another plug top back on. Consideration should also be given to ownership of appliance under test - it could be on loan/lease etc. Damaging appliances, and that is what you do when cutting off the moulded plug, can, and often does, lead to problems regarding compo and replacements.

If you are there to test, then that is the level of your remit. If there to test and repair, then yes, you could disable the appliance under the guise of 'under repair'.

And nothing at all to stop the muppets putting another plug top back on. Consideration should also be given to ownership of appliance under test - it could be on loan/lease etc. Damaging appliances, and that is what you do when cutting off the moulded plug, can, and often does, lead to problems regarding compo and replacements.

If you are there to test, then that is the level of your remit. If there to test and repair, then yes, you could disable the appliance under the guise of 'under repair'.

And of course there are muppets who say "who needs a plug top? you can strip back the wires and stuff the ends into the outlet and do away with the fuse as well" thats why a responsible person should be around to see good pratice is carried out in order for dead bodies not to be.

thanks everone

just a little back ground to the story i've just stated to work in a company who allow there fire extighers staff to p.a.t

they have been on a course . so i'm told anyway last friday a site where we p.a.t had a spark in to replace a damaged socket and guess what, a failed applance was plug in (i dont think it had the words do not use) (by the way it was a fridge) visual inspection to the spark it looked fine so he said to make it safe he cut off the plug!

i'm quite happy he cut off the plug i'm unhappy our guys didn't

i am a time served spark but have never done p.a.t so i persume our chaps would not be able to repair!!!

:whistle:

Archived