Security Installer Community

Help Please

Guest Stevely

Guest Stevely

I'm new to this forum so please excuse me if i've posted this in the wrong place.

I'm having problem with my wired alarm system and my alarm company atre showing no interest in helping me resolve.

The alarm was working fine upto three weeks ago when I noticed that the keypad

control which is in my kitchen was not working. The keys were no longer lit up and we couldn't activate alarm. We also noticed that the PIR's were also not working, ie no light coming on when passing through the beam.

I have been decorating recently and whilst using a hot-gun to strip some paint I accidently melted the 6 core alarm cable in a couple of places. I thought this was probably why the alarm no longer worked.

I went to the local DIY shop bought a load of new cable to replace the stuff i had damaged. I cut the damaged part out and used the new cable to patch in using insulated tape to join various colours in calble etc. I thought this might to the job but it hasn't.

Next I thought it might be a blown fuse inside the main box in the bedroom. I removed the lid and noticed 3 fuses inside. One marked AUX at 1 Amp and then two others, think they were 3 or 5 Amp. The fuses look ok. When i remove either of the two 5 amp fuses the bell sounds outside. I have removed the 1 amp fuse and it looks ok.

I called my alarm company but they said the are too busy to attend (nice of them) they said it might be a bulb - dont understand what they mean by this.

I think the alarm is made by has DIGITAL SECURITY CONTROLS.

Can anyone offer any advice ???

Thanks

Jason

If your existing alarm company cannot attend to fix the system and the system is not under a maintenance contract then contact another alarm company. There may be further faults on the system, that have been caused by your works and the way you have tried to repair the system is not correct.

I would strongly advise that you get a professional in to sort the system out, if you post what part of the country you are in one of the guys on the forum should be able to assist you.

Colin.

I would definately say that the AUX Fuse has blown, if you have a multimeter check for 12v between 0v and both sides of the fuse. Even if it is the fuse, if the cable is shorted it will keep blowing.

Glenn

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

• 1 month later...
Guest Stevely

Thanks Guys, I gave up in the end and got a guy in to repair it. Indeed it was the AUX fuse that had blown. I was charged the sub of £40.00 for the repair. What a great business to be in eh !! £40 for a 10p fuse

Regards

Archived