Security Installer Community

The World Of Ip

IPAlarms

I will shortly be returning to sunny England after 3 months promoting my IP products in the good old US of A. It's been an eye-opener for sure and it will be interesting to draw up some comparisons with how things are progressing in the UK.

The VoIP boom has hit the security industry real hard over here and the conversion over to IP is about to go off the scale as everyone is ditching their landline. The strange thing is - the majority of alarm engineers do not understand IP. As a result they are scared of tackling the conversion.

How many of you guys know your TCP from your UDP, your Gateway's from your Ports and are the inspectorates preparing you for tackling the world of IP when it hits the UK in a couple of years time ?

I will be aiming to setup my IP receiving software in a few of the smaller UK Central Stations over the coming months and it would be great to put together some educational meetings at places like IFSEC (or other such gatherings of installers) so that I can go through the various options available for IP enabling a panel. Any suggestions ?

Steve.

Free Alarm Monitoring over the Internet from IP Alarms

Fancy doing an Article for the Website about it..?

We already have a few IP signalling alarm systems. The main problems we have are accasional lockups and the stores IT department unplugging us from their routers/gateways.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

We already have a few IP signalling alarm systems. The main problems we have are accasional lockups and the stores IT department unplugging us from their routers/gateways.

I spent most of 2005 converting a load of Galaxy's over to IP protocol, bye bye redcare. Just haven't bothered doing the home system yet, it is on my to do list though.

The older I get, the faster I was.

I'd be happy to. Let me familiarise myself with the equipment being used in the UK and I will put something together for you.

What panel and IP equipment have you used ?

Steve.

I spent most of 2005 converting a load of Galaxy's over to IP protocol, bye bye redcare. Just haven't bothered doing the home system yet, it is on my to do list though.

Am I correct in thinking that the Galaxy is made by GE/Honeywell ?

Would that be the 7845i communicator that you used ?

Steve.

As someone completely ignorant of IP being used for alarm signaling, what are the benefits over a standard land line digicom, or land line and radio back up (ie Dualcom or Red GSM)? Is it faster, more secure? etc.

Trade Member

What panel and IP equipment have you used ?

Scantronic 9651 with IRIS comms, and the Galaxy range of panels with WebWayOne comms.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

As someone completely ignorant of IP being used for alarm signaling, what are the benefits over a standard land line digicom, or land line and radio back up (ie Dualcom or Red GSM)? Is it faster, more secure? etc.

The basics....

The main benefits are speed of signal transmission (under 1 second), no telephone call cost, no GSM cost and line supervision.

The down side is the stability of the internet connection at the client site.

The down side is the stability of the internet connection at the client site.

From what little I know of Redcare (via this forum and some ex-BT mates) and what I do know (a lot) about internet/broadband you won't catch me using IP signalling on a monitored alarm in the foreseeable future! :ninja:

(waits for expanded input from Georghati, "site idiot") :whistle:

Archived