Security Installer Community

Domestic Smoke Alarms

Monty

Can any body tell us if they have had experience of fitting smoke detectors to a domestic house say menvier M12 or equal (can be set up for smoke or heat ) where the building control /Drawings request mains op detectors ?? I would think a detector linked to a dedicated fire zone on an Intruder panel would give better reliability than a stand alone or multi 240v detectors .

www.AllanMoncrieffAlarms.com

We frequently install smokes connected to the intruder alarm for new builds, as long as there are enough loudspeakers and they are positioned correctly its ok.

We quite often have to fit a ls on the ground floor and top floor for instance of town houses.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

The basic requirement is to get 85db at the bedroom door, regardless of the origin of the alarm.

5839 pt 6

13.2 e) Unless there is, within the bedroom, a fire alarm sounder or a smoke alarm (or heat alarm) that will

give a fire alarm signal whenever fire is detected anywhere in the dwelling, in all Category LD systems

the sound pressure level of fire alarm signals, if measured at the doorway of each bedroom (with the door

open), should be at least 85 dB(A), irrespective of where fire is detected in the dwelling.

NOTE 3 A higher sound pressure level might be necessary if occupants are hard of hearing (see also Clause 14) or if bedroom

doors attenuate sound by significantly more than 20 dB.

Archived