Security Installer Community

Solar Power

More thoughts required, this time i need to think about putting a camera in a field to keep an eye on some horses. There is no power available but the field is within 50/60mtrs from the house and with a some height i could have line of sight. So i was thinking low voltage camera, transmitter on a pole/column to send the images back all powered from a battery recharged via a solar panel.

Has anyone managed this? I noticed Ebay has plenty of solar panels available at very reasonable prices, maplins also sell one but im not really sure if they would all perform as required so any advice?

I've done something similiar to this for a friend who runs the local cricket club. He wanted to catch the action and display it on the projector they had in the club house, only problem no power near where the camera could be sited. We decided to use a small wind turbine which we built ourselves out of a car alternator and one of those fish & chip signs you see spinning round. (dont ask how we aquired this :whistle: ). We knocked up a charging circuit and used a car battery to power the camera and wireless transmitter. Did this about 4 years ago and its still working!

Just checked on ebay, something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Solar-Panel-Battery-...1QQcmdZViewItem

with a heavy duty leisure battery would probably work. If you find it still drains the battery there modular so you could add a second one.

I've done something similiar to this for a friend who runs the local cricket club. He wanted to catch the action and display it on the projector they had in the club house, only problem no power near where the camera could be sited. We decided to use a small wind turbine which we built ourselves out of a car alternator and one of those fish & chip signs you see spinning round. (dont ask how we aquired this :whistle: ). We knocked up a charging circuit and used a car battery to power the camera and wireless transmitter. Did this about 4 years ago and its still working!

Just checked on ebay, something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Solar-Panel-Battery-...1QQcmdZViewItem

with a heavy duty leisure battery would probably work. If you find it still drains the battery there modular so you could add a second one.

Looks the job, thanks for that.

Anyone who is good at the maths that can work out the correct size of battery and number of panels??

Say the camera draws 160ma, transmitter takes 360ma panel is rated at 15w. It also states that anything over 15w and they suggest using a charge controller.

Actually i cant believe the industry doesnt have a ready made solution for this situation already.

Looks the job, thanks for that.

Anyone who is good at the maths that can work out the correct size of battery and number of panels??

Say the camera draws 160ma, transmitter takes 360ma panel is rated at 15w. It also states that anything over 15w and they suggest using a charge controller.

Actually i cant believe the industry doesnt have a ready made solution for this situation already.

Very tricky to work out due to British weather.

Camera plus transmitter needs 6.2 watts but you also need to allow for charging the battery.

I reckon that for one camera /transmitter one 15 watt panel and a 12 A/h battery should do.

Best bet is to monitor the battery over a period of time and add another panel if it keeps running low.

A lot depends on how good the panel is and how much sun it needs for the full output.

Boat Chandlers and the larger camping/caravan shops all sell solar battery 'top up' chargers especially designed to keep a battery topped up. if you do have a problem of not enough charge, you could double up on the charger and battery units then use a generic alarm suppliers timer pcb, timed to switch between sets every 24 hours or so to spread the load.

could always 'borrow' a modern parking ticket machine and uise the charging circuit :whistle:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
You need something suitable for the english weather, I have come up with the solution, a wind generator that uses photoelectric panels as "prop" and if a large roof is nearby collect all the roof water and route through a small water turbine. Rain Sun or wind and we have power! Simple. English weather proof as well... :rolleyes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Boat Chandlers and the larger camping/caravan shops all sell solar battery 'top up' chargers especially designed to keep a battery topped up. if you do have a problem of not enough charge, you could double up on the charger and battery units then use a generic alarm suppliers timer pcb, timed to switch between sets every 24 hours or so to spread the load.

could always 'borrow' a modern parking ticket machine and uise the charging circuit :whistle:

regs

alan

where would you get a modern parking machine...dont say e bay as i have just checked

Archived