Security Installer Community

Getting into the trade

Guest tdlynn

Guest tdlynn

Hi All,

I am just about to finish college studying three A-levels. I was interested in getting into the security industry, firstly thinking about locksmiths, but as I have a very keen interest and a sound understanding of IT systems, the electronic security industry particuarly appeals.

I would ideally like to get into an apprenticship scheme with a smaller firm, but they don't want to know. Am now looking at the large companies (Chubb, //.National Installer.//, IES) etc which look promising.

Firstly would like to ask if you have any advice as to getting into the trade and also if you know of any vacancies South East England. I've got a good general education and very keen on the industry.

Thanks

Tom Lynn

Guest tdlynn

Thanks for your speedy reply Bellman,

I have seen a number of apprenticship schemes with the big companies which look quite appealing. I was interested to speak to anybody who has completed any of these schemes and how they have got on with it etc.

Thanks again

Tom

No problem Tom,

The site is a good resource of information and we're all here to help.

Unfortunately i can't help you with any experiances of //.National Installer.//'s scheme as I was trained by a small local firm.

I will ask some of the other engineers at work on their views on the //.National Installer.// scheme.

I'm sure some of the other members will be able to assist you though,

as there must be a few members close to you who could recommend a good local company.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

I allways wanted to grow up to be a Chubb, or Bell Security Engineer, but its not very often you hear of vacancies croping up.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest tdlynn

Thanks everybody,

I would ideally like to go with a smaller firm but the people I have written to have not replied at all, not even to say "thanks but no thanks" I was warned that this might happen by my dad though so it wasn't a total shock.

I can't find any more small companies around here, might have to start looking further afield although would rather not do more than 30 miles each way commute. My dad works in london, but we live in Eastbourne, so for the last 20 years he has done the 3 hour each way journey. Its driving him mad, and I would rather not do it if possible!

I notice your my way Peter, not hiring are you? I can send you a copy of my CV if your interested.

Archived