Security Installer Community

New battery required?

Guest Jim77

Guest Jim77

Sorry, this isn't a tip or trick but a question - from someone who knows very little about his alarm.

My alarm gets its power from the downstairs lighting circuit. When I cut the power to this circuit the alarm sounds (externally only).

Is it likely that this alarm is being powered by a battery in the alarm box, and that the problem is really that the backup battery in my control panel is dead?

The system is nearly 10 years old and it's the original battery.

Thanks for your help

Jim

Guest Gazzerdaman

Hi Jim

I had exactly the same problem, everytime i turned the electricity off, alarm sounded. The battery in the control panel is probably knacked - so when the power goes off, the bell box no longer recieves a hold off voltage and activates using its backup battery. If you've got a multimeter,measure the voltage across the terminals - it should be about 13.8v. If it starts to drop or is less than 12 the battery has had it.

Gary

PS:

Also check to see if theres a fuse on the control panel circuit board, as the charging fuse may have blown too. Hope this helps

You should DEFINATELY replace the battery at least every 4 years and even more often if it's in a hot environment, i think i heard somewhere that if it's kept in a room at 25 degrees C, it reduces its lifespam by about 33%.

P.S 85% of statistics are made up on the spot.

egg03064.gif

I have to agree with JB, replace the control panel battery every 4 years (5 years tops).

Ive had to replace batteries as often as every 2 years, when the control panel has been fitted in an airing cupboard. Hot locations can drastically reduce the batteries lifespan.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest Jim77

Great replies, thanks everyone, one more question please.

To fit the new battery safely is it just a question of ...

go into Engineer Programming mode (which presumably will stop the alarm from sounding?)

mains power off

remove old battery

insert new

power on

back to 'Day' mode?

It's an Optima XL6.

Thanks again for your help

Jim

Not really any need to power down the panel just to swap a battery, just make sure you get the leads the right way around.

Most important of all, make sure you dont catch the SET button when putting the lid back on (d'oh!) as this will crash the panel back to factory defaults. Which has happened to me MANY a time. :angry:

egg03064.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived