Security Installer Community

Biased Keyswitch..what Is It?

TOMCAT

Hi

I have just fitted a Gardtec 593 panel which is working great,trouble is I want to add a RFID reader upstairs and use this to enable/disable the alarm at night. The RFID reader has a relay output but when connected to the Gardtec it does not enable/disable the panel. I have programmed a zone as biased keyswitch (reader only gives a short 1-3 sec break or make contact) but cant get it to work.Question is,do I need to put a certain resistance across the relay output so that the panel recognises it as a keyswitch or is there some programming trick that needs to be done.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Can you tell me what reader it is, as this may help me solve your problem. I would say a resistor wont solve the problem. Also you need to find out if your input requires a toggle or pulse to set the system. Dont quote me on this but i think the Gartec can accept a reader as long as it kicks out a 26 bit weigand format.

Let me know.

Richard

www.accesscontrol.ie

richard.huison@accesscontrol.ie

ACT "Where performance counts"

"Is your Access Control system Vista Ready?"

Hi Richard

Gardtec 593 can be set for a normal keyswitch (i.e turn key to set state to open or closed then remove key) or what it calls a biased key (where you toggle the connection from closed to open or vice versa briefly),I,m just not sure if there is more to a biased keyswitch than just a toggle switch.I am not trying to interface the RFID via radio merely to use it as a keyswitch albeit controlled by a RFID tag rather than a plain keyswitch (no real reason for this apart from the fact I have a RFID pad to hand) .Thanks for the reply though(btw I dont know what a weigand format is but it sounds a bit complex for my needs :D )

Guest anguscanplay
Hi

I have just fitted a Gardtec 593 panel which is working great,trouble is I want to add a RFID reader upstairs and use this to enable/disable the alarm at night. The RFID reader has a relay output but when connected to the Gardtec it does not enable/disable the panel. I have programmed a zone as biased keyswitch (reader only gives a short 1-3 sec break or make contact) but cant get it to work.Question is,do I need to put a certain resistance across the relay output so that the panel recognises it as a keyswitch or is there some programming trick that needs to be done.

Thanks in advance for any help.

gardtec do a keypad with a built in reader if that would make it any easier

Hi Richard

Gardtec 593 can be set for a normal keyswitch (i.e turn key to set state to open or closed then remove key) or what it calls a biased key (where you toggle the connection from closed to open or vice versa briefly),I,m just not sure if there is more to a biased keyswitch than just a toggle switch.I am not trying to interface the RFID via radio merely to use it as a keyswitch albeit controlled by a RFID tag rather than a plain keyswitch (no real reason for this apart from the fact I have a RFID pad to hand) .Thanks for the reply though(btw I dont know what a weigand format is but it sounds a bit complex for my needs :D )

A reader on its own won't achieve anything. You will need a reader with a matching token (Fob, card etc) and a suitable interface for the reader. As Angus says, Gardtec do a keypad with reader. Probably the simplest option.

I think I have not explained myself properly,I am using the RFID reader simply as a keyswitch,forget the fact it is an RFID device,I simply want to use it as a keyswitch and interface it to the Gardtec panel.It activates a relay when I place a RFID tag beside it and the output of this relay is wired to the panel but I cant get it to work. So I guess the question I should have asked is if you are wiring a biased keyswitch to a Gardtec 593 panel then is the keyswitch anything special or is it just a normal key with switch contacts. :huh:

Guest anguscanplay

if the relay works youve got something wrong at the control unit this panel isnt really aimed at the diy market

why re invent the wheel when you could use original equipment

I think I have not explained myself properly,I am using the RFID reader simply as a keyswitch,forget the fact it is an RFID device,I simply want to use it as a keyswitch and interface it to the Gardtec panel.It activates a relay when I place a RFID tag beside it and the output of this relay is wired to the panel but I cant get it to work. So I guess the question I should have asked is if you are wiring a biased keyswitch to a Gardtec 593 panel then is the keyswitch anything special or is it just a normal key with switch contacts. :huh:

what are you connecting the relay to? (connections, not device)

Have you tried to make this work without the RFID.?

Is the relay N/O, If so have you wired the zone as you would a N/O device.?

The keyswitch only uses 2 cores of cable, make sure it's working by just touching the two wires together first.

BTW: I'm a bit rusty on Gardtech's, haven't seen one for a few years now.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Archived