Security Installer Community

Visonic Powermax+ Or Rokonet Wisdom?

PunjabiGeezer

Hi guys. I've been looking into replacing the alarm in my house to something more modern. I've decided to do it myself with a wirless kit but I can't decide between Visonic Powermax+ or Rokonet Wisdom so would really appreciate what people who have used the systems have to say.

I would really like to be able to programme the system with using a databale and computer with the appropriate software as I think this should make life easier? Also, I'd like to have X10 capabilities so that I can have the corriodor light turn on when the alarm is disarmed and for it to turn off when the alarm is armed. As far as I can tell from the information that I have been able to find on the internet, the 2 systems have very similar features. How do the 2 differ and which would you reccomend?

Thanks in advance ;)

Hi there, not having used the Rokonet system i could not give a true answer. However the Visonic system will do all you ask and a bit more if you really press its capabilities.

One point i would make is the current regulations don't like an indicator of set/unset status, indeed anyone watching from afar could see the status of the system just by a quick glance.

As always a well designed system is worth its weight in gold and serious consideration in the placement of detectors must be given. If you are unsure a local company could quote you for such a system.

cheers

Hi there, not having used the Rokonet system i could not give a true answer. However the Visonic system will do all you ask and a bit more if you really press its capabilities.

One point i would make is the current regulations don't like an indicator of set/unset status, indeed anyone watching from afar could see the status of the system just by a quick glance.

As always a well designed system is worth its weight in gold and serious consideration in the placement of detectors must be given. If you are unsure a local company could quote you for such a system.

cheers

Are you saying (in a round about way???) get a local company in and then follow there lead...lol ????

Good idea that one never thought of that??

old hand, could you please explain where the above comes into the equation, its DiY, (Destroy it Yourself) - rightly or wrongly, you can do what you like!

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

old hand, could you please explain where the above comes into the equation, its DiY, (Destroy it Yourself) - rightly or wrongly, you can do what you like!

Quite correct, DIY you can do what you like. However I was just advising to have an indicator like that is inviting trouble if someone takes an interest in the property.

cheers

Hi guys. I've been looking into replacing the alarm in my house to something more modern. I've decided to do it myself with a wirless kit but I can't decide between Visonic Powermax+ or Rokonet Wisdom so would really appreciate what people who have used the systems have to say.

I would really like to be able to programme the system with using a databale and computer with the appropriate software as I think this should make life easier? Also, I'd like to have X10 capabilities so that I can have the corriodor light turn on when the alarm is disarmed and for it to turn off when the alarm is armed. As far as I can tell from the information that I have been able to find on the internet, the 2 systems have very similar features. How do the 2 differ and which would you reccomend?

Thanks in advance ;)

I have done many bespoke radio systems using Visonic radio gear, only had one channel of a RX unit go down and one remote fail on a pool cover remote control dropped in the pool. Good stuff in my opinion for its RF stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

I would really like to be able to pro gramme the system with using a databale and computer with the appropriate software as I think this should make life easier? Also, I'd like to have X10 capabilities so that I can have the corriodor light turn on when the alarm is disarmed and for it to turn off when the alarm is armed. As far as I can tell from the information that I have been able to find on the internet, the 2 systems have very similar features. How do the 2 differ and which would you reccomend?

Thanks in advance ;)

hi PunjabiGeezer,

welcome to the forum,

i use Gartec (aka Rokonet) Radio kit and it'd fine, but if you want UDL via computer the software is restricted to installers by password protection and rightly so.

the wisdom i have not used yet, and but there is no password on the software, you can't have access to down load it or buy the lead unless again you are an installer.

to be be frank, for a 'one off' going to the trouble of getting the UDL software and lead is not worth hassle, it could lead to confuse you.

you can do all you want from the keypad, there are no additional functions you can access with the software. even if you have all the knowledge required to be of any benefit to you. it score's where we have multiple sites and can save an engineer's visit as we access remotely, but you actually live on site.

by all means as Old Hand says, get local reputable installers to quote you, if you don't know any then best they have a NSI or SSAIB logo. you could listen tho their advice and then fit your own system, not nice but not illegal either. but if it plays up your on your own, and usually with a very red face talking to the neighbors @ 3am and i bet they won't be in the mod for a bar-b-q. so there really is more to it than sticking detectors up and adding a panel and bell.

effectively, like a pro car mechanic or plummer, your paying for what he knows, how and what to do for the best, not for what he actually doe's at the time.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

hi Magpye,

OH is giving good advice, dissuading the DIY installation in favour of a pro installation.

many see the 'pretty lights' and want to have a go much like the 'Sunday morning mechanic' , but you will know once the novelty wears off they will give up and not even use the system, especially if it plays up.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived