Security Installer Community

Silencing My Bell Box Whilst Upgrading My Control Panel

Ray

I am going to a buy new Scantronic 9448EUR90 as my old 9448+ Style intermittently goes off. The other night it decided to go off (at 3:30 AM), even though it wasn't armed and needed 0000 typed in to silence it even though this isn't the code.

My question is can i (possibly by using the control panel battery) stop the bell box sounding whilst i replace the panel? I don't like hights!

The terminals at the panel that go off to the bell box are:

TR

0V

12V

BELL

STR

I'm sort of thinking that if i connect the outgoing cables that were connected to 12V to the + battery terminal, 0V to the - battery terminal and BELL to the - battery terminal aswell this should do it. I'm not sure about the TR or the STR outgoing cables.

Could someone offer some help as if i get it wrong i may have to overcome my fear of heights to replace the bell box that i've frazzled!

Ray.

PS someone suggested that if i were to let it go off, the bell box battery would probably run out within 15 minutes anyway. But i would rather not annoy the neighbours any more than necessary.

Thanks for the help. Do you know if the new control panel will come with a battery? If it doesn't i will definately go down this route and buy a battery first. If it does i may take a chance and buy the complete panel otherwise i'll end up with a spare battery.

Control panel wont come with a battery.

Regardless of whether the battery fixes the control panel faults or not, the existing battery is due to be changed.

New battery = Money well spent.

I'm sort of thinking that if i connect the outgoing cables that were connected to 12V to the + battery terminal, 0V to the - battery terminal and BELL to the - battery terminal aswell this should do it.

Almost right, but do not add "BELL to the - battery terminal" as this will cause the bell to ring because your triggering it.

Also agree with the above posts regarding the battery, but think that an intermittant tamper fault somewhere is the likely cause of your un-called for activations.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest anguscanplay

have you had anybody working in the house recently say the last three months joiners plumbers CARPET FITTERS etc who may have damaged the alarm cables

if not would go down the battery route first as it sounds from having to enter 0000 as if the panel had temply rebooted

between two and three in the morning is a classic time for bad batteries to start showing - something to do with the economy seven type switching that occurs at that time

you should consider calling a local firm to do this and check the system wiring too.

that way if it failed totally at three am you can get help in the dark

" help in the dark"

going to use this on my van

Archived