Security Installer Community

Gardtec 500 Series Newby Question

nodz

I have a Gardtec 500 Series with a remote next to my front door. This week, I have had electricians rewiring my kitchen, and noticed that the Bell box was ringing. Should this happen just by tripping the consumer unit?

Furthermore, after condemning my kitchen ring, they fitted a new consumer unit, but must have wired the alarm into the lighting circuit. Upon tripping the lighting fuse, the bell box began to ring again. Is there no way that I can fit a new kitchen light without the alarm going off?

PS I have a master code which allows me to test, and remove zones etc.

PPS The screen when unset cycles through incomprehensible LED flashes and does not stick to Un. It doesnt seem to affect operation - do I need to fix this?

PPS The screen when unset cycles through incomprehensible LED flashes and does not stick to Un. It doesnt seem to affect operation - do I need to fix this?

This is a comon fault on non maintained 580's - basically your control panel PCB needs replacing.

I would advise you to contact a local SSAIB or NSI approved installer and have them take over and repair the system.

This is a comon fault on non maintained 580's - basically your control panel PCB needs replacing.
It is a common fault, but not usually detrimental to the operation of the alarm system. Yes getting the main pcb replaced is the only cure to your incomprehensible LED flashes but unless the alternating display bothers you then i'd not bother doing this.
Upon tripping the lighting fuse, the bell box began to ring again. Is there no way that I can fit a new kitchen light without the alarm going off?

Getting the system serviced and a new backup battery fitted is a good idea. The backup battery should maintain power to your alarm system whilst the mains are off for a period of 8 hours plus, so long as your system was origionaly installed to standards.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

I'd hope so, I bought the house off the owner of a Security Firm!!

The only reason why I havent contacted him is that I received an invoice for, what I thought was, an unreasonable annual maintenance contract.

How much should a contract be on a 4 PIR system?

The fact that it is still working after 10 years justifies my decision to an extent.

The fact that it is still working after 10 years justifies my decision to an extent.

But its not working though is it:

Upon tripping the lighting fuse, the bell box began to ring again.

And it hasnt been working correctly for some years (hence the flickering display).

Guest anguscanplay

is the display flickering all the time or just when the power off

if so just sounds like a dead battery to me

ask local installers for a callout price

if youre alarm hasnt been serviced recently expect to pay for a battery as well as a callout

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone had a chance to look at the differences between the original buggy PCB and the new one ?

I wonder what they have changed... if the problem is only software or hardware... or both... ?

Did anyone had a chance to look at the differences between the original buggy PCB and the new one ?

I wonder what they have changed... if the problem is only software or hardware... or both... ?

hi uski,

there was an issue with the 590 range having additional keypads fitted, but not enough current available to drive them, the simple fix was to power all the rkps from 12volt aux via an inline fuse.

i would add doing this wrong could damage the panel or keypads or both, and requires openning the control panel exposing unskille fingers to lethal voltages, as well as unprotected limbs and/or head to a falling standby battery.

so unless competant, the best advice is to get an engineer in to visit and do this work. a decent one will give the whole system a once over, sort any other issue's and advise of any improvements that can be made.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived