Security Installer Community

Phone Problem

bellringer

I have just connected a new phone to a master socket i havent used before, there is an extension that runs off it and it works fine when i plug in the new phone to socket and dial out a number the BT lady says the number i have dialled has not been recognised half way through dialing. The wiring looks ok and the number i dial is ok

anybody help please

yes i have tried 2 different phones and the extension works fine but on the master socket nothing just bt lady

Unplug all phones in the house and plug a good known working phone into the BT master socket, if it works add the phones back to the system one at a time to track down the faulty one. If the phone plugged into the BT master point still does not work you could carefully remove the two front screws and gently pull off the bottom section of the BT master point. (Only if you have this sort of master point, if it's a different sort dont try this) Behind the front panel is another socket, this is the BT line "without" using your consumer wiring, plug the phone into this socket and test, if still faulty it's a BT fault, if ok it's a fault on your extension wiring which is connected to the back of the front section of the BT point you removed. If you can't put a wire back in the master point should it fall out (BT IDC tool required) then be very very carefull! If you call out BT and it's your wiring that's faulty BT will charge you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Unplug all phones in the house and plug a good known working phone into the BT master socket, if it works add the phones back to the system one at a time to track down the faulty one. If the phone plugged into the BT master point still does not work you could carefully remove the two front screws and gently pull off the bottom section of the BT master point. (Only if you have this sort of master point, if it's a different sort dont try this) Behind the front panel is another socket, this is the BT line "without" using your consumer wiring, plug the phone into this socket and test, if still faulty it's a BT fault, if ok it's a fault on your extension wiring which is connected to the back of the front section of the BT point you removed. If you can't put a wire back in the master point should it fall out (BT IDC tool required) then be very very carefull! If you call out BT and it's your wiring that's faulty BT will charge you.

Thank you i will try and get back to you

I have just connected a new phone to a master socket i havent used before, there is an extension that runs off it and it works fine when i plug in the new phone to socket and dial out a number the BT lady says the number i have dialled has not been recognised half way through dialing. The wiring looks ok and the number i dial is ok

anybody help please

Could it be a master socket for a ceased 2nd line (previous owner etc), maybe the extension joints through it (the Master Socket) but is not actually part of the same circuit. You get dialtone but does the phone ring when you dial in ?

I had a ceased line the other day where all numbers came back after a few digits with the "number dialled not recognised" etc.

The only number that could be dialled was the BT (Openreach) BT TEST NUMBER REMOVED BY MODERATOR (AG) test facility which gave the Circuit number, when the number was dialled - it came back with a message "number dialled not in service" - which is was not as BT had erroneously cut it off.

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

Could it be a master socket for a ceased 2nd line (previous owner etc), maybe the extension joints through it (the Master Socket) but is not actually part of the same circuit. You get dialtone but does the phone ring when you dial in ?

I had a ceased line the other day where all numbers came back after a few digits with the "number dialled not recognised" etc.

The only number that could be dialled was the BT (Openreach) ##### test facility which gave the Circuit number, when the number was dialled - it came back with a message "number dialled not in service" - which is was not as BT had erroneously cut it off.

Simon

It is a newish house i am only one thats lived there - the master socket is in lounge and been unused

Archived