Security Installer Community

Optima G3 Problem

dazzer179

Hello

Can anybody out there help me I am having problems with a Optima compact G3 panel.

The alarm is going off intermittently with no aparent reason, when you return to the panel and enter in the security code it stops the alarm but shows no zone interference, press reset and alls ok.

There seems to be no pattern to the alarm triggering sometimes it happens on consecutive days other times it may be ok for 3 to 4 days then goes off. Always no zone lights are flashing !

Here is the strange thing the alarm would sometimes appear to be triggered when light switches are turned on, but not always, the alarm has triggered during the night when no one is up, however there are PIR sensored lights around the house so maybe these cause an effect.

Is there a fluctuation in the supply thats causing this problem, is it a earth fault ? Im at a loss at the moment, Im sure the panel is wired up correctly and could photograph and email it if anyone is interested.

If anyone has come across this problem or can offer their opions on a possible cause and solution I would be very greatful

Thanks

Darren

Its the Tamper light, there has also been a occasion where the security code was put in but the reset button did not clear the system, I had to remove the front, disconnect the battery, reconnect replace front and then enter code and reset, this has only happen twice (both consecutively), now its just back to the normal fault as above.

sorry should have detailed this before !

Its the Tamper light, there has also been a occasion where the security code was put in but the reset button did not clear the system, I had to remove the front, disconnect the battery, reconnect replace front and then enter code and reset, this has only happen twice (both consecutively), now its just back to the normal fault as above.

sorry should have detailed this before !

Well, if removing the cover cleared the problem, maybe the tamper switch on the control unit is the problem?

I think those units (I have a similar one) are designed to stay in tamper mode until the actual tamper signal is identified and cleared, just pressing reset won't turn it off.

If you're competent electrically and have the right meters you could check the tamper circuits, but it's likely to be a big global loop through all your detectors so not exactly easy..... :whistle:

no removing the front cover did not stop the fault, removing the battery and fuse from the unit stopped the alarm, putting back together and resetting set the system again.

As we speak I have just taken a phone call and been told the alarm has activated again when the cold tap was turned on !!! coincidence I just do not know but its getting more bizzare ! alarm sounder going and tamper light flashing

no removing the front cover did not stop the fault, removing the battery and fuse from the unit stopped the alarm, putting back together and resetting set the system again.

As we speak I have just taken a phone call and been told the alarm has activated again when the cold tap was turned on !!! coincidence I just do not know but its getting more bizzare ! alarm sounder going and tamper light flashing

Sorry, but maybe I'm not being clear. The lid has a tamper switch, so removing it would obviously not clear it as it would then definitely be in a tamper state; replacing it securely might.

If you have the equipment you could test the voltages, whether they vary, and what the level of induced AC is. If it's electrical interference a suppressor might help (it did for me, after I tested for and identified induced AC). Look at ACT meters web site http://www.batterytester.co.uk/ and then ACT1313, it even tells you what to check.

alarmgard - Electrician fitted, system wiring 10 year old, past year upgraded with compact G3 box from G3 box, sevice unknown = I think i can anticipate your reply !

amateurandy - looks very promising I will investigate further

Good luck.

Alarmgard is asking the right questions to help point you in the right direction. If you can afford to get a pro in he'll know what to look for and have the tools and knowledge to do it quickly and effectively.

And if you want a maintenance contract they might "do a deal". :rolleyes:

Was the control panel battery changed? (if your lucky there may be a date on it) If it wasn't this would be the first thing I would rectify.

You will also need to ensure that if the battery has not been changed and no longer charging that the panel is not damaged due to trying to charge a flat battery.

When you disconnected the panel mains and battery the noise stopped, did the outside bell/siren sound?

Was the bell/siren changed at the same time as the panel?

Were all the detection devices changed at the same time?

All the alarm engineers will tell you to that it would be money well spent to get the system serviced now, It would.

Archived