Security Installer Community

Cat5 Over 100 Metres

Business Cam

Like others have said there's a few ways to do this.

CAT5 is certified for 100m any longer and you run the risk of signal loss, IMO though you usually get away with 120m.

Inserting a Switch midway will help amplify the signal, obviously if the cable is buried this is'nt an option.

You can buy pre-terminated fibre cable in various lengths, add a media convertor at each end and this will definitely work.

Using 2 wireless Access Points and setting them as a bridge is another possibility.

Examples of cable lengths:

Gigabit Ethernet (over copper), 1000baseT

Speed: 1000 Mbps

Max Len: 100 Meters

Cable: UTP, RJ-45 connectors

Fast Ethernet, 100baseT

Speed: 100 Mbps

Twisted Pair Ethernet, 10baseT

Speed: 10 Mbps

Thin Ethernet , 10 base 2

Max Len: 185 Meters

Cable: RG-58 type coax, 50 ohm impedance

Thick Ethernet, 10 base 5

Max Len: 500 Meters

Cable: RG-58 type coax, 50 ohm impedance

We have used cat 5 up to 150m with standard baluns and all was ok.

The one we fitted with a 250m run would not work. We had to fit video amd and ground loop isolators as it was also on another phase.

we are talking about IP - traffic now. not just video over TP.

the question about switches is not so simple as it could be thought of. you have to understand the topology of the whole network there since there are limits in the amount of switches that a datagram can be travelling through.

the limiting 100metres on cat5 is for the fixed cabling - additionally you can have 10metre patch cables in both ends. the fact that limits the length is the actual signal speed on the copper. in theory it is as fast as light but in practise approximately 135metres / microsecond. since all hosts in the network can transmit any time there has to be a limit how long the data sent by one host can stay on line. therefore having a 200m long cable run should do as long as it is only between two hosts that only communicate with each others. never tried that but in theory it should work - if attenuation and interference doesn't become too high..

i wouldn't suggest that you do an unstandardised part of network there. so do it with fibre.

everyone knows what i think of wireless but that might be another route to go around this problem - thou you might end up digging the yard later when their neighbour decides to add a wireless link too.. with directional antennas you could be quite safe but still you can't beat the fibre in performance and reliability. besides pro wireless kit is quite expensive too.

arf it 'can' do 305 , but each seg is limited (pure memory here so i could be wrong) to 100m + 5m per patch, so 110m. You need switches/hubs between to get the full distance and im sure you canonly have 3 mid span so thats why 305m

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

arf it 'can' do 305 , but each seg is limited (pure memory here so i could be wrong) to 100m + 5m per patch, so 110m. You need switches/hubs between to get the full distance and im sure you canonly have 3 mid span so thats why 305m

hi james,

looked back at the post and deleted as not happy it was correct, we do need to mention its the copper legnth of the cable not the phisical legnth, the copper legnth is actually longer due to the twists, so max 'practical' legnth is about 85 meters, also allow for patch leads, like if your socket location is now 30 feet from the printer because they relocated it.

tbo, i find in reality unless very large file's are being banged over the LAN all day long like in a publishing house, very few problems are experienced if you do exceed these guideline's on modern kit. many network situations are really only for sharing the internet and a lazer printer or two, admitted not ideal but for that type of low risk use error checking is very good.

there is a 'valid' reason for 305 meters on a drum, i just can't remmember the reason why :rolleyes:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

The cat5e link is limited to 90m, the cat5e channel is limited to 100m for a warranted/guaranteed install but as people have said on here it will and does work to longer lengths.

*deep bow* indeed.

i didn't remember these terms anymore since it is almost 10 yrs ago when i was installing data networks as a full time job..

but WHY do i remember that a LINK was 100m and channel was allowed to be longer..

:question:

dull memory i guess then :roflmao:

there is a 'valid' reason for 305 meters on a drum, i just can't remmember the reason why :rolleyes:

regs

alan

1000ft perhaps..

:question:

or as james said 305ft.. i think my friends were using a drum per cable run at some point - until they went back to 1000m reels which was much economical afterall.

Because 305m is 1000 feet. No technical reason regarding drum\box size and link length.

I'd go fibre if it's an option, it will work and that will be that.

You may get cat5e to work fine over the 100m limit but if fibre can be used then no point in experimenting and winging it with copper.

Because 305m is 1000 feet. No technical reason regarding drum\box size and link length.

I'd go fibre if it's an option, it will work and that will be that.

You may get cat5e to work fine over the 100m limit but if fibre can be used then no point in experimenting and winging it with copper.

i agree Lurch,

given the ease and cost of premade cables cheaper than it used to be with some charging 1k to just polish and terminate

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived