Security Installer Community

Menvier M-series --> How Good ?

franksm

The 690 was easily the best panel Menvier (Tunstall) ever came out with. The keypad and the DC6 were the excellent, but above all was the STABILITY.

You never got 690s getting stuck in the wrong mode, having characters slipping on the screen or zone/channel/output bugs. You knew if you put in a 690, any problems were very likely somewhere other than the hardware.

Sadly, starting with the 900+ and following on from there, I found Menvier hardware to be increasingly unreliable and tempramental, culminating in the ridiculous situation of my whole company gathered round a brand spanking new M800 on October 12th 2005 (11 days after PD6662 day - thanks for that, Menvier) trying to get the damn thing into day mode.

Since the 900+, everything seems to have gone downhill, and I have no confidence in the control equipment anymore. The farcical pantomime that you have to through with Coopers everytime the standards change is just icing on the cake. I can't tell you the number of times I've sat in a conference with Dave Armstrong at the front swearing on his mother's eyes that the latest panel will be available on deadline day.

If you are a 690 user, the M-series will be a big dissapointment to you. I would avoid it like the plague. There's no cross-compatibility anyway unless you count the M-series keypad (different print on the buttons somehow justifies a new name and a price increase). So I would suggest you go for another brand. Try anything - Texecom, Castle, Galaxy - just to get the experience of a different panel.

Personally, I think that the embarassing difference in the quality of prox readers from Menvier/Scan to just about anyone else would change your mind in an instant.

I have got to say, that when we deal with new customers, we always ask what Intruder Panels they use, and its always Menvier or Scantronic. We ask these questions, because of our Card and Fob technology can be used on the systems. And personally when i was on the tools, i never had any real failures on them.

One of the worst panels that Scantronic made was the Mosaic, god when i used to service them, all you had to do was show it a screwdriver, and it would default LOL, and then i would cry like a baby for an hour.... :no::no: , coz it was a reet cow to re-programme. Thank god they dont make it anymore.

Rich

www.accesscontrol.ie

richard.huison@accesscontrol.ie

ACT "Where performance counts"

"Is your Access Control system Vista Ready?"

• 2 weeks later...
I have got to say, that when we deal with new customers, we always ask what Intruder Panels they use, and its always Menvier or Scantronic. We ask these questions, because of our Card and Fob technology can be used on the systems. And personally when i was on the tools, i never had any real failures on them.

One of the worst panels that Scantronic made was the Mosaic, god when i used to service them, all you had to do was show it a screwdriver, and it would default LOL, and then i would cry like a baby for an hour.... :no::no: , coz it was a reet cow to re-programme. Thank god they dont make it anymore.

Rich

Hi all, i know this is a bit old but would like to say that the company i work for have used menvier for years and when it came for the M-series to come in its been nothing but problem after problem after problem. Theres just been to many issues to write down, but a few exaples are the software on the early panels just wasn't up to scratch, for the downloader and digi setup. Some panels would let you have more than 10 MNodes on the network even though you can have 16. Not good when menvier turn round and say you have to change all the MNodes for the new MS Nodes!!! Now nearly 8 months on or whatever it is we're only just starting to get the problems to a point where it doesnt take days to sort out. And just one last point why have they changed the way you connect double doors using resistors its just been a very very very long learning curve which has not been fun!!!

Anyway rant over, over to you lot

Ross

And just one last point why have they changed the way you connect double doors using resistors its just been a very very very long learning curve which has not been fun!!!

Anyway rant over, over to you lot

Ross

Don't think anything has changed.

Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Don't think anything has changed.

Hi there,

Yes they have and its a pain in the //.B.W.F.//! you have to put strappers accross to link the two reed switches and you do away with one of the 4K7 resistors. Trouble is the manuals at the time (dont know about now ) didn't give to a diagram on how th wire them. and ringing Menvier tech was a waste of time they didn't even know!!!! Had to get one of their boffins to suss a way round it!!. Which doesnt help when you've got a load of double doors wired EOL and a job that needs handing over. Good old Menvier.!! If you can find a way round it then please let us know.

cheers

Ross

M series panel Very good

as for double door door contacts buy elmedene pre resistored ones and a tamperd joint box and its easy

the hard bit is anti mask on idnodes

Life is like a box of choclates.....if you dont get there first your left with all the naff ones

Archived