Security Installer Community

Menvier M-series --> How Good ?

franksm

Hi folks

As the title says, I normally use Menvier TS590 and TS690 panels in domestic applications but am now looking at the M550 and M660 panels.

What's the general opinion on these ? Are they well regarded ?

Also, I tend to use SD2 fixed-line speech-diallers - they're great - but what GSM diallers are known to be good ?

cheers

Frank

Think of the 550 as a old TS700, but programmes like a `25. You need to flash up the memory if its a early one though.

Still a solid panel worth using, one important fact is to always do a factory restart on 1st boot up.

cheers

cheers lads

Well, I could only say I'm "trade" as I do alarms on the side (and farm off the response/monitoring to a third party) as I primarily install home CCTV and entertainment systems. Would that qualify ?

I have trade access to the Menvier site & support desk, but have only got as far as looking at the installation manuals for these panels. They do look the biz tho ! (so long as they live up to the reliability of the TS690/etc)

Guest Alarm Guard
Well, I could only say I'm "trade" as I do alarms on the side (and farm off the response/monitoring to a third party) as I primarily install home CCTV and entertainment systems. Would that qualify ?

No. You have to be currently working full time in the security industry to gain trade status. For your needs, the public area should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit old school and had been installing the TS range since they first came out, so I was gutted when they followed the TS2500 style with the M Range, it was far to over complicated for the average system.

That aside I agree that if you have a V.2.0 panel (getting rid of all the bugs !) you should have no probs with the new M range, but if your only 'doing a few on the side' and dont need to comply to EN50131 then I still think that the TS590 is a better day to day domestic panel than the M550 and much easier to use from a customer point of view too with none of this ALERTS! rubbish !

Menvier must think so too as they have told me that they have no intention of dropping it from the range and are selling more TS590's now than they ever have done, mainly to the 'electricians' market

'Profesionals' installing under a governing body shouldnt be fitting them, so if you are going to pass on your installs to an approved company just double check what it is that you are fitting and that they are going to be allowed to certificate it without any major modifications !

We work with an electrician that has been installing his own systems for years and then passing them on to us only if they require monitoring or NSI certification.

He was horrified when I rejected a recent system of his as it was an M550 (Grade 2) with RX40QZ & MX40QZ (both also Grade 2) detectors.

He had already promised the customer that we would take it on without a problem, what he had failed to tell me when he made the enquiry was that it was a COMMERCIAL system and therefore all the equipment should have been grade 3.

OOPS !

Just had a sample of the MRNode - radio node for use with the Menvier M series and Scantronic 7 Series detectors, Grade 2 use of course. Much the same as the Scantronic equivalent - good to see a radio option available at last for Menvier.

Just had a sample of the MRNode - radio node for use with the Menvier M series and Scantronic 7 Series detectors, Grade 2 use of course. Much the same as the Scantronic equivalent - good to see a radio option available at last for Menvier.

Any good?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Well it looks okay but as I only received the sample today I haven't had a chance to put it to the test.

Not like the hard wired node has no fuses protection or outputs .

www.AllanMoncrieffAlarms.com

Archived