Security Installer Community

Professionally Installed Alarm Costs

Mattm

RJB, that sounds very interesting.

In a nutshell, I just want a bells only alarm that will either txt or call me if the alarm goes off without any monthly costs. My office is only 5 minutes from my home so I don't feel the need for a monitored alarm.

I would check with your insurers to see if they feel the same way.

cheers

We dont do either only audible or monitored with sms. but not sms on its own as i dont feel its reliable enough (ie does EVERY text you send get through?)

Many people just want an audible-only but like the idea of having a text message sent to them - not ultimate reliability but audible with a bonus.

to be fair guys his insurance will probably be happy with an audible only certificated system, but adding dialers or sms is not monitoring. So its only a Grade 2x which may or may not be acceptable. I understand the guys position. I myself dont have redcare gsm on my own alarm but do have police response. (dualcom gprs). I would have had a digi but i want my path monitored. It ultimatly is the OP's decision and i would assume this was checked and discussed when the quotes were done. Some companies only do monitored and i understand the position but that is not the case here as we are talking sms/dialler. We dont do either only audible or monitored with sms. but not sms on its own as i dont feel its reliable enough (ie does EVERY text you send get through?)

Does that mean a speech dialler is better? Would anyone here recommend one? I seem to have been quoted a txt by one company and a recorded message by the other (the cheaper quote) so now I'm really confused!

And don't talk to me about txt messages :realmad: I was with orange until recently and some txt's would turn up 24 hrs late!

Does that mean a speech dialler is better? Would anyone here recommend one? I seem to have been quoted a txt by one company and a recorded message by the other (the cheaper quote) so now I'm really confused!

And don't talk to me about txt messages :realmad: I was with orange until recently and some txt's would turn up 24 hrs late!

Ask for a quote for a SD2+ made by Cooper Security, speech dialler and text all in one.

cheers

Diallers have had their day IMO. Communicator is more reliable and because it is part of the panel it will tell you of any problems ... and a communicator is capable of being used for monitoring if you decide on that later. Additionally with the Texecom, the communicator permits the installing company to dial into your alarm for diagnostics and alterations, Etc.

Now now a lot of panels do this, not just the texecom.................naughty

Behave and go to the back of the class.

cheers

This is a great forum by the way! Thanks for all the great advice from everyone so far.

I didn't realise that there was so much to think about when picking an alarm!

AG, sorry for this, but how is communicater different to a dialler? Will I have to pay a monthly fee for this and what eactly does it do?

A digicom , will signal more events like mains fail, low battery, intruder, confirm, pa, open/close or abort and a daily test signal. If your system is not yeard from in any 24 hour perios it is logged as a possible (probable) fault.

Your keyholder infomation is held at the arc's computer not on your dialler so once the signal is recieved the arc will continue to raise a keyholder until they recieve a responce. your dialler will give up after a few tries. A human being will call you and inform you that your alarm has activated and what has happend. Plus if you need to chnage the keyholder order or list then you only need fax your alarm company top change it. If you have a dialer it may need an engineer to reprogram it or you doing it yourself (you may get it wrong)

just a few

i often use this but an 'alarm is not an alarm', just like 'a car is not a car' etc etc

and your right its a fantastic forum and we are glad you approve!! ;)

Thanks James.

The digicom has an ongoing service cost though I assume? So if I don't want to pay a regular fee now is a voice dialler the best bet? and is it integrated into the control panel or a separte piece of kit?

usually a sopertae bit of kit, but any alarm should be serviced regardless of signalling or not. But if you dont want a service contract then that removes a digicom as an option, as monitored systems have to be serviced, as they are expected to perform. Dialers are not insisted on service so read that how you will!!

we are not talking huge amounts and can be from

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

usually a sopertae bit of kit, but any alarm should be serviced regardless of signalling or not. But if you dont want a service contract then that removes a digicom as an option, as monitored systems have to be serviced, as they are expected to perform. Dialers are not insisted on service so read that how you will!!

we are not talking huge amounts and can be from

Thanks guys.

Maybe it's just me, but I just don't want to pay a monthly fee that's all. I would happily pay an annual fee for somebody to come out and give it the once over etc. Is that aservice that is offered or is it a monthly charge or not at all thing?

Archived