Security Installer Community

Professionally Installed Alarm Costs

Mattm

Hello everyone,

I have just found this forum after searching the web with regards to home intruder alarms. Having had a quick read of some of the posts I was hoping to pick the brains of some of the experts here.

As this is my first post, I make the obligatory apology in advance for any stupid comments I'm about to make. :whistle:

So here goes.........

We currently have an old alarm system that was here when we bought the house. There is a magnetic door contact on entry, PIR in each of the living room, dining room and kitchen. There are also PIR's in the two rear bedrooms that have sloping roofs beneath them (conservatory and utility room). You may ask why I am seeking your advice.

well, I have two cats and the PIR's are not pet friendly. I also like the idea of a recorded message or txt message being sent to me when the alarm goes off. I also want door contacts added into the system for the back door in the utility room and on the french doors that lead from the conservatory to the lounge.

I totally understand and accept the argument for professionally installed alarms over DIY jobs so I have got a couple of quotes from local companies I found on the web that have NSI Nacoss Gold accreditation. One came last week and quoted the following (in a nut shell);

1 - keep existing external bell, rear decoy bell and wiring.

2 - replace the 5 PIR's with pet friendly ones (repositioning two - no more than 3 foot from original position for either)

3 - install a Premier 816 control Panel with remote keypad (re-siting the control panel at ceiling height)

4 - install 2 x surface mounted magnetic door contacts as instructed

5 - Instalation to incude remote signalling / txt messaging.

Perfect. Exactly what I wanted. The downside is the price. I wont mention the company (not sure if the Mod's would object :huh: ?) but the price for all of the above was

Thanks for the responses so far.

JamesWilson - They didn't mention anything about guarenteeing the cabling; I assume it would be though. There is no cabling to the other doors yet.

Rjbsec - just txt messaging (sorry for the confusion) and it was PD6662:2004 at grade 2 and environmental class 2 (whatever that means lol!!)

Alarm Guard - How much cheaper would it be for 3 new ordinary PIR's and two new Pet friendly PIR's (instead of five new Pet friendly PIR's)? That would just mean me keeping the cats out of certain rooms which is not an issue really I suppose.

Guest Peter James

Hi Matt

Welcome to the forum

The prices quoted are about right my friend, sounds like nearly a day's labour to do it nicely, not sure about the Texecom (we dont use them) but as AG has already stated decent pet detectors are not cheap (does it give the brand?)

The only way I can see you get a better deal is by signing up to a five year deal (we would charge you around

:blush: Well I'd call that a rude awakening if ever I saw one! You get what you pay for!

Is it difficult to add a txt messanger or speech dialler to a system at a later date or does it have to go in now?

I assume its the pet PIR's and txt dialler that is pushing the price up.

Oh and thanks for the friendly responses everyone.

Guest Peter James
:blush: Well I'd call that a rude awakening if ever I saw one! You get what you pay for!

Is it difficult to add a txt messanger or speech dialler to a system at a later date or does it have to go in now?

It can be added at any time, but its cheaper to get it done whilst the engineers are there.

Pete

It will always be more expensive to add later than have it done the same time as the main installation, however selective choice of panel could give you SMS text messaging without any extras required now or later.

RJB, that sounds very interesting.

In a nutshell, I just want a bells only alarm that will either txt or call me if the alarm goes off without any monthly costs. My office is only 5 minutes from my home so I don't feel the need for a monitored alarm.

Archived