Security Installer Community

Alarm Recommendation For Parent's Setup

Guest FrankGrimes

So, anyone having an unmarked bell box is now asking for a 'knock on the door' from the stazi/inspectors.

I would LOVE that job

suppose it may just be a way of eliminating the cowboys and the prats who did the install at the school you posted up earlier,,,but whether it works i suppose only time will tell.

Levels the playing field at the moment the inspected are shelling out whilst the Non-compliant d**k heads who have yet to even purchase the standards.......

Please try to refrain from the bad language - Bellman

It's fairly oppressive legislation alright in that it not only makes it illegal to fit alarms for customers without a license, it is also illegal to pay someone to fit an alarm for you if they do not have a license. I'm sure that's aimed at removing the incentive for customer to offer cash, but it's not realistic for the customer to validate the fitter's license - they could show a fake license, or, more likely, the customer just won't know to ask. I get what they are trying to achieve, but that's a step too far in my book.

now I'am sure the leading Irish alarm panel maker has sticker on the end station where the installer records their license no. on it :whistle:

What the going rate for cross border alarm equipment running???

I would LOVE that job

Levels the playing field at the moment the inspected are shelling out whilst the Non-compliant d**k heads who have yet to even purchase the standards.......

Thats a bit unfair as the non compliant 'd**k heads' may not be able to read!! :whistle:

You as well

Guest FrankGrimes
now I'am sure the leading Irish alarm panel maker has sticker on the end station where the installer records their license no. on it :whistle:

What the going rate for cross border alarm equipment running???

If Joe Bloggs hires ACEM Ltd to fit his alarm and ACME show him a fake license, and even write their fake license# on the box, under this legislation Joe Bloggs could be prosecuted if ACME Ltd actually do not have a valid license. Unlikely to ever see any such prosecutions, but I think putting the customer at risk like that is not a good thing, and there may be a small % of customers who'll only purchase from the big companies, just in case that small outfit who seemed so nice actually don't have a license and could leave them open to prosecution.

If Joe Bloggs hires ACEM Ltd to fit his alarm and ACME show him a fake license, and even write their fake license# on the box, under this legislation Joe Bloggs could be prosecuted if ACME Ltd actually do not have a valid license. Unlikely to ever see any such prosecutions, but I think putting the customer at risk like that is not a good thing, and there may be a small % of customers who'll only purchase from the big companies, just in case that small outfit who seemed so nice actually don't have a license and could leave them open to prosecution.

To quote the Chief Executive of the PSA... "and I should stress that it will be also be an offence for customers to engage security providers who are not licensed".

That said, details of all licence holders are published.

Andrew

i take it that comment is aimed at the working towards companies too....alarm snobbery at its worst... :bruce_h4h:

As in do lash ups at first then learn on the job few years latter know what your doing???

Guest FrankGrimes
Frank,

Rewiring the house all depends on the type of house, get your mate to do a proper suevey.

The Europlex is a hybrid panel clicky, you could use wireless shock sensors on the windows and wired pirs everywhere else or vice versa

Thanks. That looks like it's in the right ballpark.

It's looking like a monitored alarm might be the best option for them, but I really want to understand the options for purchasing the system myself and then getting a qualified fitter to install (as opposed to getting a turnkey solution from an alarm company which may come at a premium and may be restricted in options available). I'd like to find the ideal system and then either get a qualified fitter to install it, or find a company who offer a similar setup. So now I've narrowed down my more general question and I'm looking for recommendations for specific systems.

Knowing the setup of the house, I think re-wiring would be a fairly major hassle, so if there is a reliable wireless option with wireless contact sensors that aren't hideously massive, that might be a great option.

Before I post this link, I'm adding the caveat that I'm aware that the parts don't look very high quality, and I'd share the inevitable suspicion about buying it off ebay, but I'm just including this link as an example, as it seems to offer everything I'd like in my parents' setup (my Dad is now fully onboard for getting and keeping an alarm by the way): Alarm link

This alarm is wireless, and claims to offer: remotes; GSM dialler (opens door to change landline to VOIP); 'pet friendly alarm' (assuming the PIRs are pet friendly, but would need to confirm); can be activated over the phone, and de-activated; panic button; external wireless strobe siren; contacts look relatively small; internal siren.

Downsides I can see: only 4 contacts; are the contacts vibration sensors also?; does the panel have capacity to add more zones (would be great to add a contact in shed); any quality/reliability issues?; regular battery changes (only really a hassle for the external siren - solar powered would be better).

Would appreciate comments on this proposed setup, and any recommendations for a system from a more highly regarded manufacturer that offers the same functionality.

On the camera side of things, these cameras are possibly a gimmick, but at that price it might be worth it for one in each side passageway, as it would offer some deterrent: camera - anyone got any experience with these or similar?

Many thanks for the helpful insights.

Archived