Security Installer Community

Blackberry Pearl

Smoke Screen

Also good advice.

I doubt there will be a battle royale.

I'm still in the same boat, I want something that fulfills my every desire.

Lol

I am also tied to offerings from Vodafone, and there is just nothing that completely satisfies my wish list.

Problem is whatever I choose is mine for a minimum of 12 months, so I need to get it at least semi-right.

I am leaning towards the WM5 stuff, if it wasnt so damn bulky. Got a slim variant to play with at the moment, but it is lacking in hardware beef so a little slow on some tasks.

It is the iMate Spl

More searching today

Matt Gilmartin, Sales Director

T: +44(01205) 821111 | F: +44(01205) 820316

info@smoke-screen.co.uk | www.smoke-screen.co.uk

Head office:

1-2 North End, Swineshead, Boston, Lincs PE20 3LR

Registered in the UK no. 2728491

blackberries seem to score heavilly in corporate setups and have the quedos of the old fil-o-fax's, imho that is more because of heavy discounting than technical superiority over WM5, but i wonder if they lock up as often?

i wonder if we are heading into a snobbery battle royal, like those i've had when discussing the PC V MAC platforms?

You mean like vi vs emacs? (*ducks*)

mm, perhaps a bit too geeky for the majority, but trust me, not a flame war to end up in the middle of.

Blackberries & corporate are the only way to use them. Otherwise, every single time when I was asked (used to work for T-Mobile TDMS (Tech Support) before starting at DM) I would recommend a WM5 device over a BB for consumers. There's not a single advantage.

*thinks* Oh actually there is one - on a BB all your data comms are triple-DES encrypted from the point that they leave the BB's RAM to the point they reach the far end of the GSM network and the BB network. Basically makes them ultra-secure. With a WM5 there's the _potential_ for data sniffing...

want a one stop shop that fits into a suit pocket, is bug free, can handle office apps and looks nice
*rofl*

Sorry, sorry. I shouldn't laugh. Seeing as you also said:

I don't think such a thing exists.

--

psumner@dmicros.com

Manufacturer

Gave up in the end.

Went for the Blackberry, because it is the most like a phone and I had it in my hand. My IT manager seems to think that he can make it work the way I want it to using forwarders and the like.

Also the more I used it, the more I liked it.

There you go anyway.

Matt Gilmartin, Sales Director

T: +44(01205) 821111 | F: +44(01205) 820316

info@smoke-screen.co.uk | www.smoke-screen.co.uk

Head office:

1-2 North End, Swineshead, Boston, Lincs PE20 3LR

Registered in the UK no. 2728491

You mean like vi vs emacs? (*ducks*)

mm, perhaps a bit too geeky for the majority, but trust me, not a flame war to end up in the middle of.

Flame wars Phil never this is *nix geeks.com

and vi all the way please

Yeah james I remember vi not used it in a LONG time though, heck I do got a knoppix cd kicking and I may play with it some more tried it on my new system recently seemed to take an age to boot but then realised it was my USB devices that were slowing it up..

When I was at Uni they had wait for it a "VAX" cluster :ninja: was really fast too (not!), even now I remember doing loads of alias commands so I didn't need to type out a long winded command line to get it to print in a specific way to a specific printer..

I then got let loose on the then "new" DEC alpha system - hmm ops did an upgrade that took it offline for weeks while they tried to fix it, nice gui it had as well looked well like a kde environment if memory serves me (but this is all about 12 ago)

it just remember all the commands really, ah the joys of being able to vapourise work in an instant with the wrong command with no "recycle bin" chance of recovery.

The geeks wondered why MS hide "DOS" away as much as possible in 98 onward.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

yep *nix can be a powerful beast, just let the trainee loose with a linux for dummies book and a root psw

I have just started playing with clustering but its a bit over my head at the moment. Im quite happy with 4 way smp really especaily now all the quad cores are coming

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

• 1 month later...
Been given one of these to play with.

Always used Nokia (flirtations with Motorola and Sony Erikson in the past) so have the usual menu re-learning to negotiate.

Like the idea of e-mail on the go, but not sure about the titchy keyboard.

Certainly the idea of taking photos on site surveys and instantly mailing them back to the office is attractive and at the least being able to read inbound mails on the go.

The unit itself is attractive and well made.

Anyone got experience using Blackberry Enterprise Server?

Is it any good? Do you have to buy it separately?

cheers,

Matt

I'd recommend the Nokia E50 over the Pearl any day,familiar 6310i size great battery life and if you subscribe to Blackberry BIS it supports the service very well,and no silly SureType either (though the pearl does look nice)

BES is for corporates 50 handsets or more

BIS is for single users small business

• 2 months later...

Archived